Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Figure Review Roundup: Play Arts Kai Prompto, Cindy and Riku by Square Enix


One line of figures I've taken a huge appreciation to is the Play Arts Kai line by Square Enix. This line in particular involves many points of articulation and allows for tons of posing to be possible. Not to mention there are multiple accessories and different "hand" pieces that come with the statue itself. For this particular Review, I'm bundling up several figures from this line and give a brief overview on how they are. In addition to my thoughts on the construction of the piece itself. The characters I have in question are Riku in his Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance attire, along with Cindy Aurum and Prompto Argentum from Final Fantasy XV. Believe it or not, there are slight differences in the material/makeup of these figures. Starting with Riku, feeling him out shows that he's practically all plastic. The way his points are positioned allow for some iconic posing to be done to match up what he's done in-game.

Riku comes with a few different hands along with 3 keyblades to mix and match. One of them is his standard Way to Dawn keyblade with the other two being obtainable from certain worlds in the game. Currently, I have my Riku positioned like you see in the photo on the left, with a slight head turn as if he's looking back. I will say however that it was stressful at first getting the keyblade into his hands. Eventually it worked but I was frightened by accidentally ruining the figure. There's some small paint job smudges but it doesn't really ruin the whole figure for me.

Also noteworthy to mention, all the figures came with a clear plastic stand and almost like an extension coming out the back. This would then be attached to their waist to I guess help with posing? I pretty much do not use them and they're complex for me to assemble. I got the Riku figure after I had cosplayed this design so it was nice to finally have something from a franchise I care about tons.


Cindy and Prompto on the other hand is where you get the difference in materials. Both figures are accurately portrayed as they are in game. From Cindy's jacket, to the fabric hanging off of Prompto's vest, these were greatly formed better than the Riku figure. Side-note: the boxes these things came in are awesome! Cindy came with more accessories than Prompto, specifically with an actual toolbox and a few wrenches. Prompto comes equipped with his trusty pistol. For Cindy, the toolbox does open up in one area which can provide with some posing ideas with the multiple wrenches. The detailing for these FFXV figures are much more intricate and I absolutely enjoy looking at them on my desk from time to time. The skin texture is very smooth as are some of the fabric pieces. Parts of Cindy's belt and knapsack are also moveable, just slightly though. 

From here on out, I've got dozens of pics to show you guys so please enjoy the little showcase of these 3!
















As of now, you can purchase the Prompto and Cindy figures on Square Enix's shop! The Riku figure may need some digging in order to find it through a 3rd party site! All of these figures have a special place in my heart since each of the characters mean a great deal to me. Plus, there are DOZENS of other figures/merchandise you guys can look through :D

What's Popular?