Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplays of San Diego Comic Con

Photo by David Ngo
This past weekend had one of the biggest comic conventions in the country take place over in San Diego. SDCC (as most people refer to it) is one giant gathering of media, comic books, gaming and most noticeable, cosplay. I was away on another trip that same weekend but that didn't stop me from checking my phone to see the flood of photos coming in from certain cosplayers I followed. Of which I just had to see what outfits they brought to the con. While there were many that I instantly gravitated too, this showcase is mainly focused around 4-5 cosplayers whose line-up I was super pumped to see and there are SO MANY photos that will be incorporated into this post so be warned, photo spam will commence now!

Handsome Jackie
First off I have cosplayer Lisa Lou Who and the 3 brand new characters she debuted that weekend. One of which was part of a group and I'll get to that later. On the left is her gender bend version of Handsome Jack (Jackie in this case) from Borderlands 2. My face pretty much was equal to this 0_0 the minute I saw the first picture of it she uploaded. The cel shading effects on her face and chest is just phenomenal and the outfit itself is so well made. The jacket is decorated with his signature hexagon emblem (sorry I can't remember the name of it) on and underneath is a brown vest with buckles. The black bra with its fancy look reminds me of the same kind of bra Jessica Nigri wore for her Mad Moxxi from the same game!

For a weapon prop, Lisa borrowed one of the guns from a friend of hers and the weapon itself is Good Touch which is received by Moxxi herself in the game. The wig she wore looks absolutely beautiful and I basically geeked out at these pictures.

On the first day of SDCC, Lisa wore Leina from Queen's Blade. The armor worn on this cosplay is so well done and the sword is just badass. This outfit is covered with straps adorned with studs and a multi sided shield. I imagine this cosplay was done with EVA Foam and of Worbla. Lisa smiling in some of the pictures of this outfit just looks so freaking cute! I can definitely agree with her when she said that lots of skin was shown for this, but you wear it well Lisa :D.

Lastly, Lisa debuted a Bombshell version of Batwoman from DC Comics. This was done alongside other cosplayers including Meagan Marie and Abby Dark Star (who I'll get to later down below). This concept is done in the style of taking females from the DC Universe and designing them pin-up style from the 50's. So for Batwoman, she's drawn like a baseball player from that era complete with a skirt, batting gloves and a cap. The pics from this outfit are so cool and the shoot was done at an Air Museum and it's perfect! I'll get to what Abby was cosplaying as in this group later.




Monika Lee alongside Riki LeCotey both wore female versions of the main characters from the upcoming Assassin's Creed game. While these cosplays most likely took a long time to create but that didn't stop them from creating females for this game. I really hope you guys understood that joke reference XD. Anyways, these cosplays look SO DETAILED and awesome! Monika is a female version of the main character Arno and Riki is one of the others that can join you when you play co-op!

The leather work and fabric look so well made and I'm in awe of the pictures that came out of it. Both the girls were stationed at the Assassin's Creed Parkour experience while wearing them. The scenery here looks great! Monika also wore her Demon Hunter from Diablo 3 while working at the Blizzard booth and Riki wore Sailor Mercury and a Snow White in the style of the fighting game Street Fighter!


As I mentioned earlier, Abby Dark Star was part of the DC Bombshell group along with Lisa. I mainly wanted to touch on the outfit she wore for it since the photos were incredible and Abby looked so different with the makeup. The character she made was Black Canary and she was designed like a singer at either a bar or diner. The cosplay came complete with a Mic Stand in the 50's style as well. Pretty much the best response I could state for this cosplay was HNNNGGGGGG.


The wig is perfect and the plaid shirt is opened up showing a black bra and just a little bit of cleavage which is just right. The bird pendant also was sculpted if I remember correctly. In the wig is a giant rose which just adds to the authentic look. She also had a temporary tattoo of her lover's name Green Arrow (Ollie) within a heart. There's just so much I love about this cosplay and I'm definitely asking about it in the interview I sent to her :).


Last but not least, Jessica Nigri had 3 cosplays for SDCC, 2 of which were mainly created by separate costumers. Her female Assassin from AC: Unity was done with Maise Design Seamstress and was worn alongside her friend Angelica Dawn as Female Arno from the same game. Like Monika and Riki, Jess was around the AC Experience outside the convention center and took photos on top of cannons and just making great poses! Jessica also wore the Arkham Knight version of Harley Quinn which was also made mainly by Maise Design Seamstress. Possibly my favorite part of this outfit is the chest piece along with the corset. Jessica looks fantastic as Harley and I love the sexiness she brings to the character!

Photo by David Ngo
Jessica also had the opportunity to work with 2K Games and Gearbox to promote the upcoming Borderlands game, so you can imagine my excitement when she was wearing Moxxi's new outfit from the game. Here, the cosplay was created by costumer Jessica LG and oh man is it colorful. Bright red with a touch of light blue. Instead of a top hat Moon Moxxi (as she's called in this game) is wearing a delivery girl hat. Jessica looks beautiful and nailed the make-up aspects. The photos of this cosplay look incredible and I'm an instant fan of this outfit as expected! Take a look at the many other pictures I found! I hope you enjoy them!

Photo by David Ngo
Photo by David Ngo
Photo by David Ngo
Photo by David Ngo
Photo by David Ngo
Photo by David Ngo
Photo by David Ngo 
Photo by David Ngo
Photo by David Ngo
Photo by Saffels Photography
Photo by Martin Wong
Photo by Martin Wong

Photo by David Ngo
Photo by David Ngo
Photo by David Ngo


Photo by Darshelle Stevens


Photo by Carlos G Photography
Photo by Carlos G Photography







What's Popular?