Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Progress: Finishing the Keyblade

Painted in the hilt and eye
This past weekend I was able to pretty much go into beast painting mode and finish off Riku's keyblade. Once it was all sanded and primed with Gesso and White Acrylics, I penned in sections to divide it up as well as the eye in the center circle. I started with the hilt and handles since I could place the blade on my work bench with those parts hanging off so it wouldn't lay on top of it. The hilt is comprised of red with black inserts on the sides. The right handle has gray for the wings and the inside has a change of shade in blue. The way I interpreted it was to have it dark blue up to a certain point, then the rest with that same color slightly lighter thanks to adding in some white.

The left handle as well as the little cross on the end are a cream color (the official color name on the tube was "Unbleached Titanium"). The wing over near the top consisted of mixing a violet color we purchased along with another color we were debating on that I actually already had for Greninja. The main blade part is a blood red color that I automatically thought was a perfect fit. The rest of the blade was probably the most difficult part as I practically filled my paint tray with various mixtures of the blues, purples and black that I had. Only to realize that the dark blue that I had used before on the handle was a close enough fit. After all was said and done I took it outside and sprayed it a few time with a protective gloss spray.

Getting the keychain on was a pain since the keychain we found at Hobby Lobby took awhile to get open. It's snug in good so it shouldn't be a problem. Here are a bunch of pictures I took of the keyblade as it was coming together, I realize that I won't get every small spot that I probably missed so I'm stopping now before I accidentally screw it up. You guys have no idea how proud I am of this prop and how I really surprised myself in making it.

Painting in the wing parts gray on the left handle 
Dark blue along the top, light blue going into the bottom

Full handle and hilt colored in. The one part of the cross was changed to regular cream

Eye added in

Wing and red parts of the blade

DONE :D

What's Popular?