Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Feature: 2nd time's the Charm for Vanity Fox's Fran!

Photo by Coolsteel 27 Photography
The next 3 cosplay features starting now are from the amazingness that I've seen at PAX East this year. So while technically Casey Anne debuted her second version of Fran back at Katsucon 2014, she wore it again on Friday at PAX and was one of the central topics we talked about in our interview. I'm completely in love with this outfit that Casey did and comparing this to her first attempt, she definitely hit the nail on the head when she mentioned that she learned so much more in cosplay since she started so naturally she wanted to see how Fran could be improved. I love the scenery here most of all in the
photos Casey had taken in the various photo shoots for this cosplay but let's get into the cosplay itself!


Comparing this to the first attempt, the big difference is amount of detail in the material. Version 1 of Fran had all the armor with all the detailing but not as in-depth as she went for her second version. This was mainly due to Casey working with Craft foam for the first time. The fabric used for her leotard was dance-wear and spandex! Here she went more into detail on the craft foam. Matte as well as stretch pleather was used so this version of Fran is more accurate to the real deal. It initially surprised me since without knowing I guessed Worbla. You people out there might have guessed metal. The amount of detail she put into those pieces specifically is mind blowing and I know she's immensely proud of it. Look at that leg armor! The hair looks great on her and the ears definitely stand tall adding more to her height! To really get a feel for that I included lots of full body shots and just...damn. I'm happy to have someone like her as inspiration! I love the small touches Casey did such as the extended nails to make her hands look like claws, the gauntlets and the fabric chosen looks really soft! Casey, if you ever one day decide to do cosplay prints even for a limited run definitely pick photos of this cosplay :D. Enjoy the photos!

Photo by AshB Images

Photo by AshB Images

Photo by Coolsteel27 Photography

Photo by Natedog Milbank

What's Popular?