Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Katybear

Since the interview was conducted Katybear has been up to several things mainly along the lines of photo shoots with her friends. These pictures include her wearing Cammy, and the Gimrock Mix Edition outfit of Asuka from the anime Evangelion. She has also done another version of Cammy as well as Noob from Mortal Kombat (which adds to her previous cosplay of Smoke!) I do hope you guys enjoy this interview despite how dated it may seem as well as the pictures I've selected!


Katybear is a talented and beautiful cosplayer based in Arizona who really puts her “heart and soul” into her hobby and let me tell you this passion really shines through in her costumes. Kate's outfits range from characters from popular fighting games – most notably Street Fighter - as well as those nostalgia inducing, childhood cartoons we all know and love. Cosplays made by her include Cammy, Smoke, Lightning, Leafeon, Panty and various others. Being a big name in the cosplaying scene, it's always exciting to see what Katybear comes up with next, so let's see what she had to say about her life as a cosplayer:

1. What is your Name?
Kate McCullough a.k.a. Katybear

2. Where are you from?
Originally from Albuquerque in New Mexico, but now I live in Phoenix, Arizona.

3. How long have you been Cosplaying?
About 2 years.

4. What is your Favorite Cosplay you’ve made so far?
Either Cammy or Smoke

5. Are there any upcoming outfits that you are able to share/tell?
Let's just say I am doing another version of a character that I've already done, and a character that is from the same series as another character I've already done.

6. How did you get into Cosplay?
I've always loved dressing up (being born on Halloween) and once I found out that people dress up as video game/anime/comic book characters, I was on it.

7. Who’s your favorite Video Game Character?
Cammy from Street Fighter

8. Who’s your favorite Comic Book Character?
Deadpool

9. What was a memorable con moment? Worst con moment?
Memorable is every time I meet a fan that I've never met. I love getting to meet my supporters in person, they are all so great and I wouldn't be where I am without them.

Worse was when I got groped at Tucson Comic Con...

10. Do you have a Favorite convention you go to/been to?
So far my favorite convention is probably Saboten Con, but I'm going to Anime Expo for the first time this year so that might change!

11. What advice would you offer to those that want to get into cosplay?
I would say don't be discouraged when you make a mistake. It's going to happen, the more practice you get the better you will become!

12. What is your favorite part of cosplaying as a character?

I almost feel like I am the character and that I'm not myself anymore. I am shy by nature, so I feel that I can be different from how I really am.


Picture:

Photo by Bald Pirate Creations
13. How did you make this outfit?
I don't like using patterns, so I basically measured myself and made it from scratch. I made the "boots" out of some high heels I had and made boot covers for them. The lightning bolt was probably the hardest part - I tried to use a few different black fabrics to give it some fun detail!

14. How long did it take to complete this?
About a week.

Thanks again for doing this Katy!

You are so welcome! I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you!

Photo by Adam Patrick Murray

Photo by Bald Pirate Creations

Photo by Grant Brummet's Photography

Photo by Rob Kashikoi

Photo by Sami Axelson
Conclusion
If you want to keep up to date with all things Katybear and marvel her outfits, make sure to check out her Facebook page and give it a like:

Facebook Page:


What's Popular?