Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Katie George

Since this interview Katie hasn't been up to much aside from making an awesome Injustice Wonder Woman alongside her boyfriend for this past Dragon*Con. She was also part of a group with Yaya Han with the theme of Disney Princesses in the style of Moulin Rouge. Katie's choice being Aurora from Sleeping Beauty! This interview will be a bit special as there were 2 pictures involved although one of them doesn't have any photos of the full finished outfit so forgive me if it looks weird. Enjoy guys!

Photo by Kapalaka

Katie is an experienced cosplayer residing in the Atlanta region of Georgia! She has been cosplaying for 5+ years now and has shown much more of her talent as she makes new outfits. These range from Black Cat, Faye Valentine, Korra, Catwoman (The Dark Knight Rises version), Megara, and Wonder Woman! Not only that, but she was selected to represent the United States during the annual World Cosplay Summit held in Japan, which is quite an honor.

What is your Name?
Katie George 

Where are you from?
Alabama, but I currently live in Atlanta. 

How long have you been cosplaying?
Almost 10 years. 

What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
Briar Rose. I’m a HUGE Sleeping Beauty fan, so I put a lot of love into making that and my boyfriend’s Prince Phillip costume back in 2009. Nothing quite pleases my inner geek like being a Disney princess for a day! 

Are there any upcoming outfits that you are able to share/tell?
Currently, I’m working on several comic book/movie costumes for SDCC. I’m really excited to go to Comic-con again for the first time since 2010! 

How did you get into cosplay?
The Internet! I saw pictures of people cosplaying at cons and I knew I wanted to do it, so when I made plans to attend my first con (Anime Weekend Atlanta 2004), I enlisted the help of my awesome mom to put together a Haruko costume and from the minute I stepped out on the con floor, I knew I’d found my new favorite hobby. 

Who’s your favorite video game character?
I know this is ancient, but Ulala from Space Channel 5. She was awesome. Video games that combine gaming and dancing tend to always be my favorites!

 Who’s your favorite comic book character?
Across the board, Batman. Why? Duh. He’s Batman. I’m definitely partial to Bruce Timm’s incarnation, though. If you’re asking for my favorite female character, I’m partial to Wonder Woman, because I love female badasses capable of going toe-to-toe with male powerhouses like Superman. Crazy, antifeminist, fetish-based weaknesses notwithstanding…

What was a memorable con moment? Worst con moment?
I have several great con moments! My greatest was probably meeting Morning Musume (an idol group from Japan that I used to worship) back in 2009, or getting to hang and drink with the cast of Battlestar Galactica on my birthday at Dragon*con 2009. (Seriously, what is it with 2009?!?) But generally, every con I attend has some awesome moment that I take away from the experience, otherwise why would I keep going? My worst con moment, though? Personally, I try not to dwell on bad experiences. Most of them involve my own lack of preparedness, i.e., finishing costumes in a hotel room. I do it pretty often, and I’m great at forgetting how much it sucks, because six months later, I’ll be in the exact same situation again at another con. XD 

Do you have a Favorite convention you go to/been to?
SUPER easy question - hands down, Dragon*con. There’s no way to describe it. You just have to experience it! 

What advice would you offer to those that want to get into cosplay?
Google is better and more valuable than any piece of advice I could give. There are tutorials for EVERYTHING these days, it seems. Start studying! ;)

What is your favorite part of cosplaying as a character?
Putting on the full costume with hair and makeup for the first time at the con! I know it’s dumb, but I never put on a full costume before a con because that moment is so exhilarating! It makes all the effort finally seem worth it. 

Picture:
Photo by Bryan Humphrey
How did you make this costume?
The top is a modded corset pattern made with red crepe and a heavyweight interlining with lightweight red lining. The briefs are made from screen-printed spandex using a swimsuit pattern. The gold armor is metallic gold spandex heat-sealed to felt pellon. The bracers were purchased off ebay.
How long did it take to make?
A little bit less than a month.
Did you make it all by yourself?
Yes.

(The second picture was supposed to be of her Megara cosplay from Hercules but none could be found of the full completed outfit. Instead here are the same 2 questions regarding her process in making it)

How did you make this costume?
I patterned the dress myself using math! The fabric is a crinkle organza I found and flat-lined to a white crinkle cotton gauze that I dyed light orchid/pink. It was a series of disasters, but somehow, it worked out! The sashes are made of blue-red shot silk. The wig is a Jeannie from Arda Wigs.
How long did it take to make?
I sloppily threw this bad boy together in about a week and a half! And I’m probably going to need a solid week or two or three to fix what I messed up. XD
Did you make it all by yourself?
Yup!

Photo by LJinto

Photo by Jay P. Photography

Photo by Paul Tien

Photo by Sergio Leon Lau Photography



Conclusion:
As you can see Katie shows a deep passion for cosplay and expresses her love of each character she portrays. Hopefully you can all look forward to her upcoming outfits as much as I am. To keep up with Katie:

What's Popular?