Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Destiny Nickelsen

Destiny has been very busy since this interview was conducted. Having made several new outfits for Dragon*Con such as Eleanor Lamb from Bioshock 2 and a Moulin Rouge version of Belle (along with various others who took on the other Disney Princesses). Destiny has also created both Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite and her look in the upcoming Rapture DLC for the game. She is currently working on even more outfits for her upcoming conventions which include one in Texas and New York Comic Con next week. Hope you guys enjoy!!


Photo by Patrick Sun

Destiny Nickelsen is a cosplayer who’s from Boston, MA and has some serious talent when it comes to cosplaying. Destiny has over a decade of costuming work/experience but according to this interview she has not been cosplaying for that long. Her outfits range from comic book characters to video games and anime. Some of these show her various loves such as for Spider Man, which explains why she’s done both Mary Jane and Felicia Hardy (Black Cat). Like many other female cosplayers she also did an alternate outfit for Juliet Starling from Lollipop Chainsaw. Injustice: Gods Among Us, Dragon Ball Z, DC Comics, etc. These are just some of the franchises/series Destiny pulls characters from!

1.   What is your Name?
Destiny Nickelsen 
2.   Where are you from?
Boston, MA. 
3.   How long have you been Cosplaying?
I've been making costumes for over 15 years, seriously cosplaying for about 4. 

4.   What is your Favorite Cosplay you’ve made so far?
Right now it's my Injustice Harley Quinn! She's a lot of fun to wear! 

5.   Are there any upcoming outfits that you are able to share/tell?
I have lots of stuff I'm working on right now, including some Bioshock stuff, Monster High, and Zelda. I have an album of upcoming stuff on my Facebook page! 

6.   How did you get into Cosplay?
I decided to wear an anime costume for Halloween one year to be different, and loved it. I had been going to cons for a while already, so that experience made me want to really try cosplaying at cons. I grew up sewing and crafting, and loving games, comics and sci-fi, so I just put my two worlds together and started costuming.

7.   Who’s your favorite Video Game Character?
I have a lot! Definitely Link and Zelda, Scorpion, Juliet Starling, Mad Moxxi, Little Sisters from Bioshock, my Skyrim characters. Haha!

8.   Who’s your favorite Comic Book Character?
Spider-Man! He was my first comic book love!  

9.   What was a memorable con moment? Worst con moment?
Most con moments are memorable when in with friends having a blast, and meeting new people. Worst con moment was being "interviewed" by a creepy rude guy and feeling really uncomfortable. 

10.   Do you have a Favorite convention you go to/been to?
New York Comic Con is probably my favorite. I also really love Katsucon. 

11.   What advice would you offer to those that want to get into cosplay?
Be yourself! Remember to do it for fun. Choose characters you are passionate about. Don't try to be popular. Just do what makes you happy. Start small, and don't be afraid to make mistakes along the way. Learn from your mistakes! Don't be afraid to ask for help from other costumers. Most are very friendly and helpful! 

12.    What is your favorite part of cosplaying as a character?
For me cosplay is an empowering thing. I struggle with anxiety, and am shy and non-confrontational. I like cosplay because it gives me a chance to be someone other than myself, someone who may be stronger, or more confident. It lets me break out and helps me not be so shy, gives me an opportunity to meet people and do things I wouldn't normally have the courage to do. I love the whole experience of transformation into a character, and meeting other people who appreciate the work I put into said transformation and costume. 



Picture:
Photo by Tobias Roybal Photography

How was this outfit made?I made a rubberized spandex body suit, and added fur to the collar, made gloves with fur strips. Made a simple waist cincher, and added fur to some boots that I purchased. I made the wig myself because I couldn't find a style I liked. So I sewed wefts to a cap. I made my mask by casting my face with Alginate, and then made a plaster positive. Then I heat formed Wonderflex to my face cast, cut out the mask shape, sanded and painted it. I engraved a cat tag to read "Felicia" and attached it to a choker I made.  
How long did this outfit take?
Probably about 14 hours total. 



Photo by Sweet Sensation Photography

Photo by Joseph Chi Lin

Photo by Tobias Roybal Photography

Photo by Tobias Roybal Photography

Conclusion:
There you have it people! Destiny sure is an amazing girl and she has love for so many characters. Can’t wait to see what she makes next!
To follow Destiny’s work:

Facebook Page:
Twitter:


What's Popular?