Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Kassandra Leigh

For an update on Kassandra, she has been busy having photo shoots showing off the many outfits she has either created herself or modeled in. She also continues in working with Geek Goddess selling prints through them as well. Her last convention was New York Comic Con and sadly I did not find the time to head over and introduce myself to her! At NYCC she wore her Morrigan and Evangelion cosplays as well as a schoolgirl/maid outfit which had some elements of sci-fi. Hope you guys enjoy this interview despite it being dated!

Photo by Kassandra Leigh Purcell

Kassandra Leigh is a gorgeous model, photographer and cosplayer from New York. She has a career in photography as well as being a part of the website Geek Goddesses. That doesn’t stop her from expressing her love of comics and gaming though! She has cosplayed characters like Morrigan Aensland, but she mostly shines in creating the most beautiful gowns!

What is your Name?
Kassandra Leigh

Where are you from?
I was born Upstate, but moved to Long Island NY some moons back.

How long have you been cosplaying?
I’ve had people asking me “who are you cosplaying” since middle school. I tend to dress pretty oddly in my day-to-day attire, so most people assumed it was some character. It was only some 5 years ago that I started cosplaying with intent. Unless of course, you count when I would dress up for live action roleplaying!

What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
I’m most proud of the gowns I put together for my fantasy medieval inspired photo-shoots. But for a specific character I’m pretty happy with how my Morrigan’s leggings came out.

Are there any upcoming outfits that you are able to share/tell?
Oh absolutely! This is the first year I’ll be going to Anime Next (June, NJ) and in addition to debuting my updated Morrigan bodysuit, I’ll be going with 2 other girls in Eva themed latex. They are dresses we had made by the awesome Vengeance Designs to match to Rei, Asuka and Mari's plugsuits. I really love combining my love for different kinds of fashions with cosplay.

How did you get into cosplay?
As I mentioned I sort of dress eccentrically in my day to day, which had people asking me if I was cosplaying. So of course I was pretty aware of cosplay long before I was giving it a whirl myself. But I think my attempts to make cool things for my photography & modeling were a gateway into cosplay. That and renaissance fairs haha

Who’s your favorite video game character?
That’s mean. Who the hell wants to pick only one?! A month later your gonna play a game and be like “ OMG SO AMAZING”  and have to go through the moral en-devour to choose, which gave you the most joy. I’ll at least say this: one of my dream cosplays for video game characters is to cosplay as Alsbeth from the MMO Rift.

Who’s your favorite comic book character?
I was pretty jazzed to do my Black Queen cosplay. Selene from the Hellfire club (X-Men) is really underrated, but who can say no to a crazy spirit sucking evil vampire lady? I got to cosplay with a Sebastian Shaw and make disapproving faces at each other the entire con long! Haha!

What was a memorable con moment? Worst con moment?
I-CON was my first convention I’d ever gone to and it was my home con. One year my friends and I were walking at night between buildings helping with the LARP track clean up and laughing about something (I can’t remember at what exactly) when my friend (not paying attention to where she was going) trots right into a trash can and just about falls into it completely (she’s pocket sized lol). All of us sleep and food deprived as we were found this so funny we all had to stop and cry and laugh till we couldn’t breathe. This however was a signal to the local cops to come over and ask if we had been drinking or doing anything that night. Good to know our antics read as “these crazy costumed bitches must be ON something”.

Worst con moment? The Walking Dead was going to be shown as an exclusive sneak peek at New York Comic Con. We waited two hours in a line to get to the doors and be told not only could we not go in – but also that they had to have people taken out of the room, who they sat down because of how much of a fire hazard it was. The importance of organization, people!

Do you have a favorite convention you go to/been to?
I-CON is an itty-bitty con for sci-fi, fantasy, anime and what not, that takes place in Long Island NY. It was so close to where I live and all my local friends went which made it a very comfortable con. There really wasn’t a lot of pressure in terms of cosplay either, so it was a way to test out costumes before I brought them to bigger conventions.

What advice would you offer to those that want to get into cosplay?
I think you should identify why you want to cosplay first and foremost. Is it 100% for your personal enjoyment? Will people being catty ruin your day (if so, this might not be a good hobby for you lol)? How much time do you want to dedicate to it? I find cosplay is pretty engrossing. I started off with maybe one new character a year and it quickly became 5-6, which is very time and money consuming. lol

What is your favorite part of cosplaying as a character?
I love the photo shoots! I’m a bit biased on this one since I do photography as my occupation but I find cosplayers create such interesting outfits! Not only are the costumes themselves fun to capture, but the people tend to be very fun and laid back to work with. It really is a fun way to bridge my two loves – photography and fandom.


Picture:
Photo by Kassandra Leigh Purcell


How did you make this outfit?
Pretty shittily? I don’t think that is a word, but it works! The one thing I was very proud of was my feathers. It always annoyed me when people used scallop shaped fabric or cheap looking craft feathers for the trim on her bodysuit. So I went all out and dropped almost 70$ on real Chinese rooster feathers. Soft. As. HELL! They got attached to an old sash I had, so I could pin and unpin it from the main bodysuit. The suit I made isn’t the best quality so I’m hoping someone can help me upgrade it to leather that maybe has more structure to it. And since my feathers can just be pinned on, it makes it sort of versatile. Always a plus! The leggings were modified from some I had around the house. I made two different bat shapes cut from some magazine pages I had laying around the house and would pin it to my leg and paint it while it was worn. This part made me mental since pinning down the paper it sort of ripples and never quite stays in place. My friend had to paint the ones on my butt-cheeks for me. Ahhh, friendship! Haha also a big thank you to my gal at Crone Designs for helping me out with some epic wings. They are made from wire and heat treated cellophane.
How long did it take to create?
Not sure….I tend to work a little here and there when I can’t sleep (which is often) or when I’m killing time before I head to work.

Photo by Babette Daniels

Photo by K

Photo by Conri

Photo by Cantera Cosplay

Conclusion:
This should give you a good idea as to how passionate Kassandra is about her work and expressing her artistic abilities! If you want to learn more about her:
Facebook Page:
Twitter:


What's Popular?