Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

STRUCK FIRST: PixelPantz Cosplay as Bowser!

Photo by MisterPantz

Struck First gives you a first look at a cosplay just as it's been debuted/had its first photoshoot. Cosplayers have been kind enough to let me have a first crack at analyzing the cosplay by providing me with brand new pictures.

I was totally stunned then quickly gained excitement when my sweet bab PixelPantz Cosplay was bringing an incredible Bowser gijinka to Anime Expo last month. Even better, it was a collaborative effort with the amazingly talented artist Suzume! You might know her for the incredible chibi designs she does for cosplayers like Danielle Beaulieu and Moderately Okay Cosplay, which also make for some awesome Patreon rewards! Anyways, back to my bab! The armor really is the stand out part of this whole design on the Koopa King. I'll get to talking about that but for starters, Pixel is rocking a bright yellow corset piece which starts directly below her spiky breastplate. There's also a small red sash wrapped around her waist. Here, we can see a resin like buckle in the shape of Bowser's face! Underneath the armor seem to be black sleeves for the arms and black pants. Much like every other armored cosplay I've shared, it's done for comfort reasons.

Pixelpantz was also a sweetheart in sending me a brief description on how the armor was made in addition to a materials list for these pieces. All the protruding spikes have built in LED lights so that they light up. A strip light is used in what looks like the white spike trim laid across the breastplate. I'm also COMPLETELY IN LOVE with the shell textures and coloring. It's practically a dead ringer to Bowser's design and Kat knocked it out of the PARK <3.

What I'm gonna do is add in what Pixel sent me to make it a little easier on myself. One last thing I'll add about the construction is the long flowing hair is spectacular! IT'S FLUFFY and the horns on top are perfectly shaped as well! Ok Pixel, you're up!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Materials used:

Worbla

EVA 

LED Foam
Fair Lights
LED Strip Lights

Foam Clay




Build completed in: 7 Days

Most armor pieces are made with a foam and Worbla base and then all exterior details are just straight foam. I burnt some ridges into most pieces with my hot knife or soldering iron to give them a more shell type texture. Each light up horn is a cone I made out of LED foam, burnt ridges into, and then shoved some fairy lights through the armor into the horn. All small detail horns are sculpey that are just glue to the armor. Everything is primed with black Plastidip then airbrushed with varying shades of green and gold. All of the LED horns aren't primed at all and just straight airbrushed so you can see the lights through the paint!

This is just freaking awesome
All the final shots really show off all of the cosplay. Some of which throw in Pixel activating the LED's on the spikes. You can also see bracelets of sorts that are done in black and grey around her forearms. No doubt she was hot in this outfit due to the insane weather at AX, but I feel like she had decent maneuverability so that's always a good thing. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
All in all, I love this cosplay immensely and PixelPantz as always shows what an amazing cosplayer she is. Definitely is one of her best pieces yet and I'm excited for whatever she has set to make next. GOSH KATLYN YOU'RE SO SWEET I LOVES YOU <3. The remainder of this writeup is a photo dump of WIP and Full shots so enjoy guys!




Photo by David Ngo



Photo by GamerJoeFoto

Photo by GamerJoeFoto






Photo by GamerJoeFoto

Photo by Martin Wong




Photo by MisterPantz

Photo by MisterPantz

I'm honored and touched by all means that PixelPantz went this extra mile for me in this writeup. She's such a special lady to me and I seriously just miss her constantly. There's nothing but utter praise about her work that comes out of my mouth and you all NEED to follow her work. Her Patreon should have links to all her other pages, GO DO THE THING! From the bottom of my heart to Katlyn, thank you for doing this for me. LOVE YOU BUNCHES SWEET BAB :D It's her birthday this weekend also so SPAM HER WITH LOVE <3
https://www.patreon.com/Pixelpantz
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank You to the following peeps for Supporting this Blog on Patreon <3
Shaylin
Chris
Noah
Coralea Jade
OhMySophii
Katyuska Moonfox
Mink the Satyr

What's Popular?