Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

STRUCK FIRST: Leah Stevo as Star Guardian Urgot!

Photo by David Ngo


Struck First gives you a first look at a cosplay just as it's been debuted/had its first photoshoot. Cosplayers have been kind enough to let me have a first crack at analyzing the cosplay by providing me with brand new pictures.

Coming right off of an amazing Anime Expo debut is Leah Stevo with what has to be an insane build. Here we have the League of Legend champion Urgot done up as if he had a Star Guardian skin. I had to look up how Urgot looked originally and upon doing so, it made this cosplay all the more funnier. The Star Guardian skins are mainly homages to the magical girl archetype that animes like Sailor Moon brought forth. So pretty colors and all the kawaii goodness on someone as horrifying as Urgot is just amazing. I honestly don't even know where to begin so how about her hair? Leah has a crazy bright neon green wig going on with bangs and curls going down on each end of her face. There's also cat ears because of course? I feel like one of Urgot's signature traits has to be spewing acid from his mouth, hence the mouth piece that Leah is rocking in full on white. THE VENTS ARE IN THE SHAPE OF A STAR ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! XD.

Photo by Dave Yang
One arm is completely laid bare where as the crazy starts on the other one. First you got a small shoulder piece which then descends into what looks like a sleeve that's made of wires. That all culminates into a Mega Man like blaster cannon with resin stones placed to decorate it. Lots of color here which stands out easily on the plain white base that all of this cosplay is covered in. The cannon has three tips sticking out at the end which looks like said laser would be in a triangle shape upon firing.

For her body, Leah is rocking a sweet breastplate with a star in the center done up in green. Below that are wirings that are similar to how her one sleeve is on the arm. This is where things get crazy to the extreme cause you can see that she has nothing going on leg wise with black pants covering her legs. It looks like Leah inserts herself into the giant circular piece that has SEVERAL separate legs. I honestly don't know if they move/are controlled by her, so it could be that Leah set herself up in certain wide open spaces for people to take photos of her. Then if she wanted to move, she would then get out of the circle and walk like normal? I'm going to also imagine she had multiple friends helping her out with transportation. It's possible that these come apart easily for mobile transport? HELP I'M CONFUSED!

Photo by Duft Werks

All the legs look to have been done the same way. White paint on the sides with full on gold taking front and center stage here. Small stars poke out of the legs up near their tops and also light up, so LED work was put into this cosplay. Red pipes can be seen sticking out of the backs of each legs and look to be connecting back to the circular piece. Said circle piece has a freaking green skirt with a white frill piece underneath it. This is placed somewhat on the circle in a way that it drapes down when Leah is placed in a spot. The second I saw this cosplay I was (and still am to this day) speechless at how this was made. THIS is the kind of crazy cosplay I live for, if I messed up in explaining how this looks/was made, I won't be surprised XD. Here are some other shots of Leah's Urgot!

Photo by JwaiDesign Photography

Photo by Ryan K
Photo by BlizzardTerrak

Photo by BlizzardTerrak

Photo by Ryan K

If this cosplay isn't enough for you guys to follow Leah Stevo's work, I don't know what else to tell you. GO CHECK OUT THIS TALENTED LADY <3 I also included a link to a giant album of progress pics that Leah accurately detailed as to how this full cosplay was made :)
https://www.facebook.com/LSTVO/
https://www.facebook.com/pg/LSTVO/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1786491184721244
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank You to the following peeps for Supporting this Blog on Patreon <3
Shaylin
Chris
Noah
Coralea Jade
OhMySophii
Katyuska Moonfox
Mink the Satyr

What's Popular?