Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Feature: Sol XXV's Mecha Umbreon!

Photo by B1NH Photography

There's a somewhat decent chance you've seen this cosplay before if you've scoured the web for cosplay in general. Cosplayer Sol XXV took part of an incredible group mechanizing the Eeveelutions, which is definitely an idea I did not even think of. Once again, League of Larcy hooked me up with the details surrounding this rad dude. Sol selected the Dark type Umbreon and holy smokes does this cosplay as a whole look incredible. What I'll note right off the bat, is that this cosplay made a recent appearance at this year's Katsucon with several improvements. As such, the full focus of this Feature will be on the 2015 version he created. Sol's Umbreon is covered head to toe in pitch black armor pieces underneath an under-suit most likely worn for comfort. You've got Umbreon's ears in full fashion as well as yellow details highlighting the other color as part of the Pokemon's scheme.

Photo by U.V. Photography
As I mentioned at the start, Sol's Umbreon is armor city you guys. Starting off from the top, a closer look at his helmet makes it appear to be like a cover for both the front and back. Umbreon's signature circle is seen glowing yellow on top of his forehead, and the ears are attached on the back plate. The eye slits glow a bright red, I'm truthfully curious as to how Sol (or any of the Eeveemechs for that matter) was able to see out of there. The upper arm pieces are full on yellow circles, where as the lower arm pieces have a segmented pattern on them.

The weaponry for this first version of Umbreon is a pair of twin blades done in black and yellow. Various markings can be seen in some of the shots. Quick little note, I love that the top of the helm has Umbreon's Pokedex number etched in. The breastplate looks to be added via the over-the-head method. A belt piece and leg armor round out the rest of this cosplay. My best bet is that all of this was done in EVA foam or various variants of foam. For comfort and mobility purposes of course! Getting to see the group's revamped version briefly was pretty rad at Katsu. If you're wondering if all of the yellow spots glow in the dark, you're damn right they do :D. Check out the other shots I have!

Photo by B1NH Photography

Photo by B1NH Photography

Sol XXV has done other cosplays in a similar mech fashion like done with Umbreon. If you want to see them, his 2018 Umbreon or other cosplays then definitely check out his FB page :).

What's Popular?