Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Showcase: Juliet Starling!

PAX East is this weekend and what I wanted to do for this Showcase is take it back to a cosplay that was one of the first I've ever seen when I went to PAX 2 years ago for my first convention. The cosplay being Juliet Starling from Lollipop Chainsaw. It seems that every once in awhile, a character will come along and instantly gravitate to a bunch of cosplayers. Whether it be the character itself or the outfit is fun to look at, it sets off a trend in which that character is all you see. In recent memory, Elsa and Anna from Disney's Frozen were a trend. Juliet Starling was one as well.

PAX East 2012 was when I first saw a Juliet Starling Cosplay that definitely stuck with me and I'll get more to that later. I have 4 very beautiful and talented cosplayers who absolutely nail her look so I hope you guys are ready and enjoy them :)

Photo by AshB Images
First up we have my awesome friend Casey Anne. Her Juliet is one of my personal favorites not only because she looks so awesome in it but it was also the first cosplay of hers that I saw her in. Soon after that we met and quickly bonded over mutual likes and whatnot. Up above Casey is in Juliet's default cosplay which is a cheerleader uniform  for her high school's team "The San Romero Knights". Alongside the other parts including the knee socks and shoes, Casey also crafted Juliet's accessory being the decapitated head of her boyfriend Nick. On top of that the hair looks so good!

The thing about Juliet is that on top of that default outfit, you could unlock so many alternates to wear while replaying through the game and that didn't stop Casey :D. Below she also did the "Purple Pride" outfit which is just a palette swap of purple and yellow as well as the infamous "Sexy Pink Rider Suit". Did I also mention that her chainsaw looks freaking badass? Cause it does! If I had to pick, I feel that purple looks fantastic on her so that's my favorite alt Casey did. She also doesn't need to be full revealing in the Pink Rider Suit which I admire alot and she still looks amazing in it!


Photo by BentPic5

Photo by BentPic5


Photo by C. Wish Cosplay Photography
Next up is the awesome Bethany Maddock. I love the poses she makes in her photos. The default outfit definitely is working for her figure and she looks gorgeous! Her chainsaw and Nick's head were also hand-made and both look great! I love the logo of the game being in the above shot. Like Casey, Bethany also chose the Pink Rider Suit and let me just say she looks FIERCE in the picture of it down below. The blood spatter effects are sick too!

One other alternate outfit that Bethany did was Juliet's "Rockabilly Outfit". That includes a long black wig with curls alongside the bottom, a dress and fishnets that altogether look very much like a 50's/Pin Up inspired outfit. The pose Bethany makes here is so cute! What I think all the Juliet Starling cosplayers have in common is the way the chainsaw was crafted. If I remember correctly, the blade base is either made from wood or a metal. One of those 2 methods was done by each of them.

Photo by C. Wish Cosplay Photography

Photo by C. Wish Cosplay Photography

Photo by C. Wish Cosplay Photography



Photo by Tobias Roybal Photography
Destiny Nickelsen is next on my roster of awesome Juliets. I did a Feature on this outfit specifically so if any of this sounds familiar I apologize but she looks SO AWESOME as Juliet! To stand out from the other cosplays of her, Destiny made only one outfit being the "American Dream" alternate. The colors are a mix of red, white and blue (hence the name). I love the poses she makes and the editing on some of the photos is just so colorful! Most likely to reflect one of the in game mechanics known as Sparkle Hunting. Destiny wasn't able to create Nick's head but the chainsaw itself makes up for it! I love the pattern on her top!

I'm betting that it was quite heavy to carry around during the times Destiny wore this outfit to a convention. Sadly I think she put this outfit into retirement though I'm glad I got a picture of it at NYCC 2012 even though it was somewhat awkward and I wasn't able to introduce myself to her officially. Rest assured we're buddies :) and I love having a print of this outfit!! If some of the pictures are a repeat from the full feature I did on this outfit I apologize once again!

Photo by Tobias Roybal Photography

Photo by Tobias Roybal Photography

Photo by Twistedmanga.com




Photo by Eurobeat Kasumi Photography
If you thought I wasn't going to show Jessica Nigri's cosplay of Juliet well...you're wrong XD. She did after all become the face of Lollipop Chainsaw having won the contest held by IGN (and I definitely remember helping out with that, all those times breaking the voting system clicking on her names....good times <3). Jessica made the outfit before even knowing of the contest and she nailed every single part of it. Her figure is also legit perfect from the bust size to the abs and flat stomach (she's huge on exercising). The chainsaw was also made by her and seeing this cosplay as the one when I met Jessica is just all kinds of amazing. Definitely a permanent memory I'll have.

Jess also went on to the Pink Rider Suit that was so infamous for her, that she was asked by the convention staff at PAX to change out since it was distracting. Even asked a second time when she put on the default which had no problems the day before. It's both hilarious and odd that it happened hehe. Her travels to Japan for promoting the game also led her to make one of Juliet's other alternates, the "Maid Outfit" Seriously that outfit just screams cute every time I look at it :). Getting prints of both the default and Pink Rider Suit was awesome!

Photo by Adam Patrick Murray. Editing by Slim Summers 
Photo by CVG.com

SO CUTE.

I do hope you guys enjoyed this week's showcase! Last week's had a great response to it so I'm hoping this one does as well! I get to see each of these girls at PAX East this weekend and you have no idea how excited I am since I miss them all so much <3. Below are links to their FB Pages and Twitter!

What's Popular?