Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Convention Report: PAX East 2014

My convention season this year kicked off with my 3rd time attending PAX East in Boston, MA. Much like the previous years I only attended 1 day since this time the 3-Day passes sold out really quick so I felt lucky I was able to snag one for Saturday. I was on my own for the whole day and mainly spent it running around meeting up with friends and cosplayers since I had with me a ton of drawings that I did for them. Not only that but I managed to get an amazing interview done that I'll get more into that in a bit :).

I didn't get that much in terms of swag, mainly being a t-shirt and swag bag as well as a cute little keychain. Cosplay wise I debuted my Steampunk Nightwing instead of Riku due to one outfit being fully completed and the other missing a vital part. So why don't I jump in and explain the awesomeness that happened!

Jessica and Monika at the Wildstar Booth!
The first thing I did was run on over to the Wildstar booth since I had gotten to the convention and inside at around 10:30. Jessica Nigri and Monika Lee were there working for the booth promoting the game with their amazing cosplays. After a slight confusion as to where to line up for pictures with them, I got my spot and sat tight for a little while. Thankfully the wait wasn't too long and they were super happy to see me! We chatted for a tiny bit and I gave Monika her drawing that I did to celebrate her reaching 200k fans on her page. They're also really excited for my Dad's outfit to match with me at NYCC so that was sweet! I seriously missed these 2 so so much!


Lindsay Elyse looked awesome and was great to talk to!
I then ran over to meet Lindsay Elyse who attended the con working for Soda Pop Miniatures promoting an upcoming tabletop game. She was super nice and loved my cosplay. We talked a little bit about Pokemon, upcoming outfits and Kingdom Hearts. Expressing a love of how crazy the character designs are. I showed her pictures of the keyblade I got cut out and she loved them! Lindsay's excited to see my outfit come together! Looking forward to getting prints from her soon!

Bethany Maddock and DeAnna Davis looked great and they loved seeing me!
I then traveled on over to the Giant Spacekatz Booth where cosplayers Bethany Maddock and DeAnna Davis/It's Raining Neon were working. They were there promoting the upcoming game Revolution 60. I gave them their drawings and they loved them both so much which led to a group hug ^_^. I also for a little bit tried out the game and it's definitely interesting, with touch screen controls during cutscenes and grid like combat where you move the character 1 space at a time to avoid the enemy and deal out attacks. The graphics are definitely fitting for the game! It was great to see you both and your cosplays looked amazing! Dat hair DeAnna!

Destiny Nickelsen representing the game Dragon Fin Soup!
I wanted to make sure I visited Destiny since it might be awhile since I see her again as well. She was there working for a company who's game Dragon Fin Soup had just finished a successful Kickstarter! The character here is the heroine of the game named Red Robin. The outfit came complete with a giant badass looking gun! I wish I could have chatted with her a bit more. I also tested out the game for a bit and this was a bit more of a tactical RPG with you automatically attacking objects in front of you as you move around. I promise Destiny I'll get a print from you next time, there's one that definitely has my eye *cough cough* Burial at Sea *cough cough* :).

Mia wearing her N7 Black Milk Dress!
While running around trying to find people to give out drawings, I managed to find Mia and she loved the drawing I gave her. She looked absolutely stunning in the dress and had just arrived to go see Jess and Monika. I had plans on seeing them at least one more time before they were done for the day so I waited in line again with her. We talked upcoming outfits and how she just did a photo shoot earlier today and I got a little preview of one of the pictures, holy crap you guys are going to love it :). Mia was so sweet as always!

This was the 2nd time I saw them. More casual :)
Like I had mentioned, I saw Jess and Monika one more time before they were done at 3:30. Chatted a little bit more and I expressed how happy they made me in that they're both excited for Riku and Greninja. I got a cute little keychain from them which Jess proceeded to stick it up my leather cap XD. I miss them already and I hope I don't have to wait too long to see them soon! You girls are the best seriously like, I can't even begin to thank you for everything you've both done, if I had more time to talk with you both I'm pretty sure I would have just let everything out and start to cry :')

Kristen Hughey looked GORGEOUS as Secret Agent Miss Fortune!
I ran into Kristen Hughey who brought her family to PAX and it was super awesome to talk with her a little bit. She was there as Secret Agent Miss Fortune from League of Legends and good god you guys. The dress was amazing! She even had her mom and sister-in law cosplaying with her which was awesome though I didn't get to see their outfits. We weren't able to chat for long as they were about to wait in a ridiculous line for the League of Legends booth! I apologize for the blurry picture. Can't wait to see her at Hartford Comic Con!

Jaime Poison! She made a great Ariel!
I met cosplayer Jaime Poison who I have been getting to know a little bit through our cosplay pages. She loved meeting me and we're definitely planning on hanging more at Hartford Comic Con! I visited the guys at Cherry Sauce and purchased one of their awesome shirts which I now use for exercising since it's perfect. Mainly I chatted with Jason about how the convention was for them and just things in general, upcoming cons which most likely will be NYCC when I see them again. To both Jason and Mike, thanks so much! It was awesome to see you again and congrats on Bardbarian again Mike!

Met Lisa Lou Who. So freaking amazing! She loved my drawing!
The day was about half over and I still couldn't find Lisa Lou Who. Which was interesting considering her outfit was Officer Vi and that well...those giant gauntlets she made couldn't be hard to miss. Thankfully I managed to spot her walking and getting stopped to pictures. When I introduced who I was she lit up and was so happy! I gave her the drawing which she loved so that made me smile :). With her print store opening up soon I hope it won't be hard to choose which one to get out of the ones she'll have for sale ^^. At least I get to talk with her online whenever I'm able to so it's not too bad missing her and whatnot. Your cosplay looked incredible Lisa, seriously just wow!

Casey was one of the first friends I made in cosplay so I'm always happy to see her!
One of the last things I did was meet up with my awesome friend Casey Anne for an interview that had been planned ever since I was working for the failed website prior to this blog starting up. I could go on and on about how much she means to me and what she's done for me but I'll get more into that when I upload the interview on Friday. She also loved the drawing I did for her and she gave such great answers! Shout out to Adam for helping out holding my phone and recording it! Even though Casey wasn't in cosplay, she still looked beautiful :).

Here are some other solo pictures I took!

Lisa's Officer Vi is seriously amazing! 
Jessica and Monika were doing an interview so I took this shot of their outfits.
Look at the detail! SO COOL!
Lindsay giving me an awesome pose!
I also managed to run into some friends of mine and gave some of them drawings which they loved. All in all I had a fantastic time and all of these moments will be with me as amazing memories, such as this next one <3. The story of these next 2 pictures goes like this, I was out in front of the convention center, waiting for my ride to come pick me up. While looking down I hear someone shout my name. Wondering who, I look up and there was a cab in front of me. It was kinda hard to see but turns out Jessica, Monika, Jason and Mike were in there! I smiled and gave them some funny poses, at which point Jess took a pic of the one below and tweeted it at me :). Monika took the next one and I took the final one of the cab they were in, yea you can't make out that they're in there but trust me they were :)

God dangit Jessica!

Monika's a sneaky ninja taking this!

This cab has some awesome people inside :)

Did I have fun at PAX East this year? Absolutely! Turns out this marked 2 years of me cosplaying and this was the first convention I ever went to! I met Jess for the first time at the same convention so I was tempted to say Happy Anniversary to her XD though I didn't want to sound too weird. I'm also hoping that this will teach me that I shouldn't worry about something bad happening which to be honest I did right before this con and the past few I went to. I always end up having a blast so I know I don't have to worry anymore. Thank you so much again to everyone I mentioned for making this a fantastic convention. I hope it won't be long till I see you again <3.

What's Popular?