Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Game Review: Bardbarian


One recent game I've been addicted to is the recently released Bardbarian for iOS and Android devices. This is the first game developed by Tree Fortress Games with Mike Gaboury (of Cherry Sauce Clothing) handling the animations, art and concept. Basically important parts to the game. You play as Brad who serves as the local protector of a small town. He wakes up one day to realize instead of doing all the dirty work with killing minions, he takes up his Axe Lute and jams out to summon more classes as you fight wave after wave (20 total) which also shows progression throughout the course of one day.



The game itself plays like the Tower Defense games you've probably heard of as your goal is to protect the town crystal. If either that or Brad dies then it's game over. Brad himself can't attack but what he can do is use "Notes" to play sick riffs which summon party members who range in various classes. You control Brad and his entire party as one by moving your finger across the touchscreen.These include Black Mage, Wizard, Ninja, Tank, etc. You start off with 3 available classes and you can only use 3 each time you play through story mode! Each class costs a certain number of notes to summon and the notes are regained over time. Every 5th round turns into a boss fight and you're set with taking it down while endless hordes of minions keep coming.

Typical Gameplay Screen
For me, I got excited when I was using the gold earned through each playthrough to upgrade my classes and add more to my party. You also start out with having 3 party members at any one given time but you can upgrade that to a maximum of 7. Also to help Brad are 3 signature songs that are used to increase your minions Attack, Defense and Speed. If you manage to kill 5 enemies in a row, you can use a stun attack which stops enemies for a short while as well as clearing any oncoming projectiles. You can also upgrade your town to add AI controlled defenders, a town drunk whose vomit can slow down and weaken enemies, and a pet who can run over and pick up gold, food and other items while you're off killing monsters.

Info on Upgrading one of the Classes. Funny descriptions are also included
It can get pretty hectic as you have more party members as well as the increase in levels which can be a bit frustrating at some points but it's overall a ridiculously fun game. I found myself addicted to it over the past weekend as I managed to make it to the last wave yet still unsure how to clear it :). You should definitely give this a play and best of all it's free!

So we going to get this party started or what?

Should you Play this Game?
Yes, Bardbarian is a fun addicting game that offers lots of upgrade options, very detailed character animations and design.  You will definitely find yourself playing this for hours as you work on clearing through that wave you failed on as you move about protecting the town!

What's Popular?