Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Why is it Such a Big Deal?: Female Cosplayers Getting so much Hate

Disclaimer: I know these days are reserved for reviews and normally if I don't have one I would skip these days but something's been on my mind about an issue within the cosplay community and I wanted to touch on it. I know most of you will probably think "ughh here we go, we've all heard it before" just hear me out ok? Oh and I picked up the Mass Effect Trilogy so there are reviews in progress!!

You all know how I feel about cosplay, and how it's a wonderful hobby with an amazing group of people who support one another. You know all the cosplayers I've met and how each of them have their own way of inspiring me as well as supporting me/cheering me on. Here's the thing, females get way too much sh*t and I mean WAYYY TOO MUCH in cosplaying. I just don't get it, really I don't.

Rude comments, nasty rumors trying to bring them down, being claimed not a real cosplayer/fake nerd all that stuff. I'm barely even scratching the surface when I list all these things. Why is it such a big deal, to those that do this kind of stuff to them...are you so protective of what you love that you don't want a female to overly sexualize it? Is it the old fashioned "girls are icky" mentality and that they shouldn't enjoy what we enjoy?

Female cosplayers SHOULD be able to do whatever the hell they want to without being criticized for it. Yes I know I'm making an impossible statement and that there always will be trolls etc. Girls like Jessica Nigri get way too much of it. I won't go into detail of what I think of her cause you all know damn well if you've been following my blog that she's absolutely talented and one awesome person that I have the pleasure of knowing. Does she sexualize her cosplays? Yes, yet why the hell is that a problem? Some may argue that it's not how it should be. All the characters she cosplays as she has a pretty good knowledge of who the character is and obviously means something to her. Jess is very beautiful so she might as well incorporate and change the character's design as she sees fit to her. Some say her "fame" isn't well-deserved...trust me it is, she's incredibly talented and an absolute goofball.

WHY IS THAT SUCH A BIG DEAL? Why do people hate on her so much for it? All the cast members on Heroes of Cosplay got way too much sh*t based on how they were portrayed in the show when I, having talked with them online and in person know that's certainly not true. It's a reality show people open your eyes. I felt horrible that they all got so much slack for things that were mis-interpreted etc. I just hope people will know better now come second season (yes they're making another one).

I find it hilarious when some of the cosplayers I follow post stories of being questioned their credibility only to school those who question them in whatever media. Such is the case when I read Nicole Marie Jean's new long introductory post for incoming fans. This part in particular:

"I AM actually a fan of comic books and I do read them and I'm quite knowledgeable of these characters. I school people daily on here and at conventions. I love a good comic book debate and will try to get them started here on my page. It's all in good fun and we all learn something new. I've embarrassed many men who have questioned my knowledge and fandom, especially those who come up to my booth and say "Do you even read comics or are you just a model? What's with the baby on your chest?" as they point to my Cable costume and then they are stuck hearing me talk for ten minutes about the story of Hope Summers and why I'm a Cable fangirl (and secretly wish he would carry me on his chest through epic battles.)" 

Now I'm more of a DC guy but see this is actually pretty awesome to hear. I just don't get it...is it when someone attractive who cosplays that we are quick to judge and assume "Oh they were probably paid to do it, they don't know sh*t about who they're cosplaying"? Ummm yea try again. I'm just gonna run down the list of cosplayers I know and their "specialty knowledge".

Monika Lee is a Blizzard fangirl. So much that she actually had an amazing summer internship opportunity there. She also loves Final Fantasy.


Jessica is Pokemon crazy on top of various animes, and Gears of War


Victoria (Scruffy Rebel) is a Tron and Star Wars fangirl


Nicole as mentioned above can probably school you (me definitely) in Marvel Comics Lore


Amie Lynn is a Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy fangirl

Destiny Nickelsen loves Marvel as well as Bioshock


Casey Anne LOVES Zelda. Emphasis on the word LOVE.


Marie Grey is big into DC Comics (+1 to her ^_^)


That's all I can think of for the moment (it's early people). Most of the people that give some of the girls mentioned above all the bull-sh*t are also people who haven't met them in real life. When you meet them I guarantee you that your view on them might change. Look I know I can't change everyone's opinion and I respect that but for god's sake...they're human beings (awesome human beings) with feelings. I'm not surprised some have told me that they've thought about shutting down their pages because the hate is just overwhelming. Do male cosplayers get any of this? NOPE. Instead of bringing females down, how about we see how awesome it is that they enjoy what we love! It kinda is a form of picking on/bullying them which I'm pretty sure most males suffered from (least I know I did). 


Seriously...why is it such a big f***ing deal?!?



What's Popular?