Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Convention Report: Rhode Island Comic Con 2013

For my last convention of the year, I kept it local attending my state's own Comic Convention running into its second year. This time the organizers managed to book the entire convention center rather than apparently having a smaller space from what I was told of last year. I had bought a weekend pass for Saturday-Sunday and my Dad accompanied me on Sat. I spent majority of the weekend hanging around and chatting with the cosplayers that were stationed around the 600-700 aisle and needless to say I made some more amazing memories.

The convention managed to invite Jessica Nigri, Riddle's Messy Wardrobe, Destiny Nickelsen, and Nicole Marie Jean with Kristen Hughey making a last minute decision after being offered to accompany one of them at a booth. Cosplay wise I wore Meta Knight again this time with the cape being attached to the shirt via safety pins. Luckily the cape never fell off and I got some awesome compliments and comments about it. Was cool to see people knew who I was!

 I spent most of the days hanging around Jess' booth being able to talk with her a little bit more about things like cosplay (Dad got some good advice from her since he's very tempted into doing Steampunk), Pokemon, photo shoots (one day I hope to be in a professional one with her :)), Dr. Who (which I don't watch) and just being dorks. Jessica wore her Wampa cosplay from Star Wars and a female version of the 10th Doctor.

Me and Jessica on Saturday!
Jess as a Female 10th Doctor
I also managed to chat with Destiny at her booth which was located right next door. Sunday was when we chatted the most about how things were going, games we want to play yet can't due to not having the actual system (we both want Pokemon X and I mean WANT). Unfortunately it doesn't seem like i'll be seeing her again anytime soon since we discussed about PAX East and she was only able to get a Friday pass whereas I scored a Saturday pass :/. Destiny matched with Jessica as a Tauntaun on Saturday and debuted Vivian from Dragon's Crown on Sunday. I have to say that dress was AMAZING! Really extravagant, I can understand how she felt so hot in the outfit. I'm willing to bet it was eventually tiring to walk around in it.

Destiny cosplaying as a Tauntaun

Vivian from Dragon's Crown!
I was only able to chat with Nicole for a short while as it always seemed like her booth was crowded alongside with her friends and people wanting pictures with her and fellow cosplayer Spencer Doe. Nicole brought along her Kraven and Sabertooth cosplays. Both gender bent and both awesome. I especially loved the vest she made for Kraven, it looked soft but I probably don't think it was hehe. Spencer wore his Carnage cosplay as well as a Batman suit. Due to them being busy with also doing things for Kids Con I was unable to interview them.

Nicole's Kraven! So much animal print!

She also wore Sabertooth. Also had fur as well.

This weekend I had the pleasure of meeting 2 other cosplayers who I've been a fan of. Riddle's Messy Wardrobe (really known as Riki) who you might remember me featuring here as part of showing the other cast members of Heroes of Cosplay, and Kristen Hughey who I started following a few months ago but quickly have managed to chat with her for that short period of time.

Riddle's Wasp Cosplay!

Loved seeing her Dr. Mrs. The Monarch cosplay as well



Riki wore her Wasp cosplay and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch from Venture Bros. It was really cool to finally meet her after knowing her work for a long time, she knew who I was (she always apparently sees me in my John Constantine cosplay which was awesome to hear) and was happy enough to let me interview her which you'll all get a chance to see this week! I was able to gather lots of information regarding my next cosplay from her since she was interested in it. Specifically how to go about constructing the Keyblade!

Kristen's Cammy from Street Fighter.

Her Aqua-Woman was awesome too!
Kristen was happy to meet me as it turned out to be earlier for us since I would have originally met her at PAX East next year. My Dad and I were able to talk with her for a bit about cosplay and how she got into it. She told us about how she made her pauldrons for Aqua-Woman while talking about my next cosplay and how the Keyblade would be the most difficult part. Also the fact that I should look into sewing classes since that'll be a big part as well! Expect an eventual interview from her soon!

There was also a Cosplay 101 panel which was hosted by Jessica, Destiny, and Nicole. The panel was lots of fun and it basically turned into a Q/A session with the girls giving the audience advice on cosplay plus their own answers to questions such as favorite cosplay etc. It ended with us taking massive photos of them and the entire group plus Jess leading us into singing the Pokemon Theme Song which was hilarious.

This was much nicer as compared to say New York Comic Con. Both days weren't that big and as I had mentioned I got to chat with the girls alot more than I would have at a busier convention. I miss them all so much and I had alot of fun. For most of them thankfully I'll see them again at PAX East which is a lot sooner than I had anticipated. I know they all appreciate me just as much as I appreciate them. Here are some more pictures from the weekend!

Selfie! God dangit Destiny haha

Meta Knight has been captured by furry creatures!

The Cosplay 101 Panel

:D

Freaking Castle!!

Jess, Nicole, Kristen and Riddle posing!

Last selfie just as Jessica was about to leave to catch her flight! <3




What's Popular?