Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Kelly Jean

This week I would like to share British cosplayer Kelly Jean! As for an update to what she's been up to, Kelly has been helping out running the Sexy Cosplay Girls page over on Facebook as well as creating even more amazing outfits such as Mai Shiranui being one of her latest ones!

Photo by Dan of Sexy Cosplay Girls

Kelly Jean is a cosplayer who comes from England and has a lot of talent with the outfits she makes. In particular her Lilith from Borderlands looks so stunning, you would think it’s an in-game screenshot. She has also done Rouge from X-Men, EVA from Metal Gear Solid 3 and Poison from Final Fight! An added bonus is that Kelly plays in a band known as Rexon with her role being a singer!

What is your Name?
Kelly Jean!

Where are you from?
England.


How long have you been cosplaying?
About six years.

What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
Hmm, my current favorite is definitely Lilith. I cosplay from stuff I love the shit out of and Borderlands was awesome. I still have a soft spot for Yoko and Panty, since I greatly enjoyed those shows too. Panty is a great character; it's the ultimate excuse just to be rude.

Are there any upcoming outfits that you are able to share/tell?
Hmm, I'm honestly not sure what I'm doing yet, haha. I have the materials for a couple of costumes (Dazzler from X-Men is one), but what I do for when is always a mystery even for me.

How did you get into cosplay?
I was googling pictures of Sailor moon and Cardcaptor Sakura when I was 14-ish at school. The next year I made a really bad Sakura costume and went to London Expo with my friend as Chii!


Who’s your favorite video game character?
Erp. This is easier when it is from specific games. For example, Ellie and Lilith are my favorites from Borderlands. All time though? I have no clue! I have soft spots for Sophitia (Soul Calibur), Lara Croft, EVA (Metal Gear) and Abe from Abe's Oddysee.


Who’s your favorite comic book character?
That's a bit easier, because I only keep up with one comic series and that's X-Men. Rogue is my favorite by a mile, though I have a lot of favorites.


 What was a memorable con moment? Worst con moment?
Hmm, I went to PAX last year and hosted a panel for Volpin and a group of other prop makers. That was pretty memorable! As was meeting my US friends, some I'd not met in person before.
Worst con moment? Umm…….I snapped part of the hilt off of my Sophitia sword at Amecon 08. That sucked, haha. It didn't make me that grumpy though. 

Do you have a favorite convention you go to/been to?
Yep. PAX was my favorite. AX was fun too (though very hot). I also enjoyed Kitacon.


What advice would you offer to those that want to get into cosplay?
Just do it and don't worry about what other people think. Remember that no one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Cosplaying with your friends is the most fun! And a good place to start if you feel nervous.

What is your favorite part of cosplaying as a character?
I think it's just getting to portray them. I'm not 100% in character all the time, but when I can be, it's great. It's fun to goof off and just pretend to be the character you admire.


Picture:
Photo by LJinto

How did you make this outfit?
+ Painted/varnished shoes
+ cut shorts, hand sewed the white parts in
+ spray painted plastic chain for the belt and hat, sprayed the handcuffs and the bracelet too. Attached belt with carabineers
+ sewed two tops together for the top since tops like that don't really exist..
+ Accessories made out of leatherette with sprayed stud details glued on
+ logo removed from hat, chain sewed on to hat.
+ Styled extensions to put into hair
Doesn’t sound like a lot but when there is so little you have to make sure you get the little things right! O___O
How long did it take?
It was a few days in total! I worked slowly.

Photo by Sebastian Matthews

Photo by Sebastian Matthews

Photo by CosplaySnap.co.uk

Photo by Sebastian Matthews
Conclusion:
There you have it people! Kelly is an all-around amazing girl with interests that are certainly appealing to everybody! If you want to follow her work, see what she’s like:


What's Popular?