Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Game Review: Aeternum

Disclaimer: This review and another in the future  may not be as detailed/analyzed enough due to me not clearing the main story. This is because clearing the main story was out of my ability and it was just too hard to me. Regardless I hope you find this review informative and enjoyable!


There are some games out on the Xbox Live Arcade that are just downright strange and make you think, just what drugs were the developers on when this game was being created? Aeternum is one such game. If I had to describe it to a similar game I’ve played I would have to unanimously go with Tecmo Kitten Adventure. Same style but different functions/aspects. Aeternum is a 2D side scrolling shooter developed by Wasted Brilliance where as you progress through each level, the enemies that appear just keep getting crazier. Along with a Story mode is arcade mode and a tutorial.
              The game follows a student who goes by the name of Ellica. She is a Demons Magic student at a prestigious magic school known as Aeternum Academy (hence the name of the game). She’s journeying towards another day of school specifically looking for her friend Macy. Along the way she has to fight through enemies (flying cats…so many cats) and very odd bosses. Oh and if it helps with the fantasy setting, Ellica is also a succubus.
              Gameplay wise it’s not too difficult. You move with the control stick holding 1 button to fire your magic and another button to put up a shield. As you defeat enemies they leave behind red residue/dots, which can increase your power (max power being 400). More power equals more streams of magic get shot out increasing your range. Power is also needed to put up a shield with each one costing 50. You are also given what’s called a Panic. When massive amounts of bullets/magic come hurtling your way and you are unprepared, a shield automatically protects you.
              There is also the Right Trigger button that makes you focus. What happens is Ellica’s heart is shown a tiny bit and she actually slows down time, this allows you to easily maneuver between enemy fire and can also build up your graze, which is when you just get hit barely. If you get hit you temporarily disappear and come back with less power, the game ends when you get hit with 0 power (found myself in this position many times and have since then given up on beating this).


It can be very frustrating avoiding all these bullets


              Graphically the game looks good with HD backdrops mixed with pixelated characters and lots of bright lights coming from the enemies. In ridiculous patterns (which leads me to say if you’re prone to seizures, do not play this game) which seem impossible to avoid. These kinds of games are not my strong suit but I at least enjoyed myself. The story was humorous at the parts I got up to (the caretaker is a giant squid, sure why not) and the controls were simple enough. If you’re a fan of these kinds of games then definitely try this out, worth the 80 MSP.


Have fun in this mess 0_0


Should you play this game?
Only if you enjoy these kinds of games, otherwise feel free to skip it!

What's Popular?