Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Hillary Stump

Hillary hasn't been up to too much since the writing of this interview, least I don't think she has been. Cosplay related she's made Dizzy from Guilty Gear and attended conventions over the summer such as Anime Expo and various others. I hope you guys enjoy this interview!!

Photo by Eurobeat Kasumi Photography

Cold Candle is one of my personal favorite cosplayers I follow. Not only is she extremely cute but she’s also as sweet as people can get. She’s mostly known for her gijinka outfits of Sonic the Hedgehog and Tails. Not to mention she has a ridiculous love for Sonic and the franchise itself. Here she tells us about herself, how she got into cosplay, and more interesting facts about herself!


1.   What is your name?
My name is Hillary Stump, otherwise known as my cosplay alias: Cold Candle!

2.   Where are you from?
I was born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana. I currently reside in Southern Mississippi where I attend college for my associate’s degree in nursing.

3.   How long have you been cosplaying?
While I have always enjoyed wearing dramatic costumes for theater productions and parties, I started cosplaying during my free time around early 2010. It’s been these past few years that I have met some amazing people in this community who have inspired me to continue.

4.   What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
My favorite cosplay that I’ve made so far would have to be… Sonic the Hedgehog. I know it’s not really one of the best costumes ever (especially for a ripped up plaid shirt and some fleece ears), but it holds some great memories. And it’s comfy too!

5.   Are there any upcoming outfits that you are able to share/tell?
Oh, plenty! I am very excited to present a few new costumes for this summer. I am hoping to cosplay Noel Vermillion from BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, Kyoko from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and so much more. The one costume I am looking forward to the most is Dizzy from the Guilty Gear series. This has always been a dream costume of mine, and I’m more than eager to finish this cosplay before Anime Expo 2013.

6.   How did you get into cosplay?
I got into cosplay with the help of a few friends I knew in high school. They had told about conventions where people would dress up as characters from television shows and cartoons, and I thought that was really awesome. My curiosity got the best of me, and before I knew it I started planning a costume to wear for myself.

7.   Who’s your favorite video game character?
My favorite video game character would definitely be Miles ‘Tails’ Prower from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. One of the first games I ever played as a child was Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on the Sega Genesis, which I would play alongside my big brother. I always liked being second player because I was able to control Tails without the disadvantage of running out of rings or drowning.

Over the years, my appreciation for Miles never faded. Between his characteristics as an individual and the unique appearance of his complexion, Tails will always be one of my favorite video game characters.

8.   Who’s your favorite comic book character?
Although I don’t read too many comic books, I would have to say my favorite character is Rorschach from the classic limited series, Watchmen. The graphic novel was easily one of the best stories I have ever read, and I found the half-insane anti-hero as one of the most interesting of characters. His zero tolerance for moral deviance and extreme moral code really drove the story through this gritty and visually striking novel.

9.   What was a memorable con moment? Worst con moment?
My most memorable convention moment(s) was during Anime Expo 2011. I had the most fantastic time ever; especially with how many awesome people I met and got to hang out with. I can’t just choose one moment! Between meeting some of my favorite cosplayers and working with some of the most talented photographers, I felt grateful to be in the presence of all these fantastic people.

I haven’t actually had a really horrible convention moment, but I suppose the worst thing that has ever happened involving an event was when my biggest cosplay project for Anime Expo 2012 ended up being a huge bust a day before the convention. While I felt awful about not being able to attend the event with a costume I hoped to wear a year in advance, I’ve learned so much from the experience. It really helped kick my motivation to start on costumes months in advance now. 

10.   Do you have a favorite convention you go to/been to?
If you haven’t noticed already, Anime Expo is one of my favorite conventions to attend! This is the convention that I plan months in advance for. When it comes to what costumes I’m going to wear and what panels I want to attend, I already have an itinerary of almost everything that I want to do written months before the convention. The reason I love this convention so much is because I get to see so many of my friends from out of state. Even if it’s only for five minutes, a greeting and a hug means so much to me from someone that I admire online. As cheesy as it sounds, I believe the people you meet during a convention definitely make the weekend worthwhile!

11.   What advice would you offer to those that want to get into cosplay?
Take chances, make mistakes, and get messy! Cosplay is all about learning. Between using the appropriate stitching technique and how to pose in your costume, you only get better through trial and error. And of course, don’t forget to have fun!  I can’t emphasize this enough. Whether your reason for cosplaying is to work with sewing/prop making, expressing your love for a character, or just modeling in general, don’t be afraid to enjoy yourself.

12.   What is your favorite part of cosplaying as a character?

My favorite part of cosplaying a character is portraying that individual through a real-life picture. The reason I love cosplay so much is because of the art you can create through just one single photo. I think it’s absolutely amazing to bring a fictional character to life, especially a character that you truly adore and love.

Picture:

Photo by John Lynn
How did you make this outfit?
I actually bought this costume from somebody on the Cosplay.com forums! It was never worn due to the large size, but I was able to adjust the suit to my body adequately. Although the suit and the major accessories had pretty much already been tailored, I was able to improve a few of the items such as the gloves and the goggles to fit and look more appropriate for the character. While I didn’t make this costume, I had so much fun wearing it!

How long did it take to make?
Because I didn’t actually sew the costume and there were only a few items I needed to fix, it only took less than a week to finish. There is definitely much more that I am hoping to add over time to improve this cosplay. I am hoping to get pictures of the revisions very soon!

Photo by Eurobeat Kasumi Photography

Photo by JWaiDesign Photography

Photo by John Lynn

Photo by FiveRings Photography


Conclusion:
Hillary is definitely looking forward to sharing her future outfits with everyone and I can’t wait to see them debut! She really deserves a lot more fans to appreciate her work, if you want to follow her cosplay work check out her Facebook Page!

What's Popular?