Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Feature: HelloIAmKate's Blastoise!

Photo by Martin Wong

HelloIAmKate is another individual that I've been introduced to thanks to friends like Karlibra and other cosplayers down in the SoCal area. What easier way to get into her work than feature a Pokemon gijinka today! Kate did what looks to be an apocalyptic take on the OG water type Blastoise. For starters (yay puns!), the outfit consists of a tan sleeveless crop top and very dark blue jeans. A brown belt serves to help secure the pants in place. Dark boots and heavy socks look to round out the bottom of the cosplay. By that description, I look to get the basic stuff out of the way for this cosplay. These pieces (as are several others I'll get to in a minute) are weathered the hell up to give that battle damaged look. Kate's rocking blue sleeves for her arms that are tattered up with several holes. The real fun of this cosplay is with everything else I'm about to describe!

Photo by Syncon Photography
Kate has an absolutely adorable wig on with small pigtails up at the top. In addition, she's got some war markings/makeup on across her face and chin. Prop wise, Kate has some kind of neck piece that looks to be attached to the shirt. Truthfully I don't know what it's supposed to resemble and how it connects to Blastoise. The belt around her pants also has a strap which travels down one of her legs. This serves as a holster for a small water pistol that Kate modded up to match the neck piece and shell that's she's wearing.

Speaking of which it wouldn't be Blastoise without his signature giant shell + twin cannons coming out of either side. As a whole, the shell is relatively small with the two cannons looking giant in comparison. I'm curious as to how this was all connected together. The shell itself is worn like a backpack with some black straps attached. Materials must have included foam and worbla. Otherwise it wouldn't have looked as light as it does. The bevel/3D effect on the shell is insane as is the coloring being superbly accurate. The photos really make the colors pop with the green nature like background. I absolutely love the cosplay as a whole and Kate is definitely someone to follow in terms of her cosplay work and streaming! Check out the other pics :D

Photo by James Rulison

Photo by Thomas Int-Hout

Photo by Thomas Int-Hout

Below you'll find links to Kate's FB page and Twitch channel! She's so dang talented and entertaining, you won't be disappointed <3

What's Popular?