Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Azumii

Photo by Boyfriend Cosplay and Photography
One person I met at this past Katsucon who was a definite highlight for me was Azumii! I found her through the surprising reveal that she's been following my blog and what I do for awhile. That alone made me incredibly happy and want to show off her work for you guys. With a feature having been done awhile ago, I was beyond happy she agreed to do an interview with me <3. Azumii is based up in the Northeast area which makes cons over there easy for her to travel to. Though she's been to other out of state conventions such as ColossalCon held in the summer! If you were to look at her portfolio of cosplays, you'd be right to assume that Azumii really loves gaming. Having been born up on it from using her Dad's PC playing Unreal Tournament, she really gets enjoyment from playing them. Games like the Witcher 3, to even MMO's like WoW and Guild Wars (both of which she's been playing for 12 years!).

Surprisingly to me, Azumii has been cosplaying for a long time and creating her cosplays for close to that same time frame. Other tidbits you'll learn about Azumii include her namesake, the cosplays she brought to Katsucon and what she's planning next! Her views on cosplay breaking into mainstream media and how Patreon is working out for her! I also made sure to include a good variety of pictures to share in the mix of the answers I'll be pasting in down below!


Photo by Wander Cos Photography
Other tidbits you'll find in this interview include a day in the life, nerdy things she enjoys on top of gaming and anime, insight into how she made her Burlesque Vulpix, and much more! Azumii was without a doubt a total sweetheart and I can only imagine having a badass friendship with her :D. Really hope you all enjoy the interview!
----------------------------------------------------------
What got you into cosplay and how long have you been doing it?
I've been cosplaying for almost a decade and making my own costumes for about four years. I got into it after attending my first local anime convention and saw a few people cosplaying, and wanted to try it for myself.
Which cosplay was the first you ever created?
Popstar Ahri was the first costume I had ever made all on my own!
Thinking back to the last convention you were at, did you enjoy it?
My last convention was Katsucon 2017, and I had an absolutely amazing time.
What cosplay(s) did you bring to this convention?
Ciri from The Witcher series, my original Burlesque Vulpix design, Phil in the Rugrats group, and casual Tracer with an Emily!
What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
Probably Ciri!
What got you into being a geek?
I've been playing video games and watching anime on 4kids since I was really little. Some of my earliest memories of geekdom are playing Unreal Tournament 2003 on my dad's PC and collecting YuGiOh cards! I've also been a World of Warcraft and Guild Wars player for 12 years.
Photo by Jason Freeman Photography
Do you have any other members of your family who are into what you enjoy? Or are you at present the only “geek” in the family?
My dad! He's the one who got me into video games, and I'm the one who got him into cosplay photography. My sister is also into gaming!
Do you have a favorite media to cosplay from? For example you’ve done several video game cosplays, are those more enjoyable to do?
I really enjoy video game cosplays! I tend to connect more with video game characters since I'm actually playing or interacting with them. I have a few cosplays planned that are from both games and anime, though!
After seeing your sweetness first hand thanks to Danielle, I started looking into your cosplays and one that stood out was your Ciri from the Witcher 3! You even wore her at Katsucon this year. What was it like creating her/any difficulties? And why did you choose her?
I've loved Ciri as a character through playing The Witcher games and reading the books. I love her character and her attitude; I even have her rose tattoo. I also love her character design, because I absolutely love the look of leather apparel. I think the most time-consuming part was making her pants, from drafting the pattern to sewing the pockets to putting in each of the grommets.
Photo by Sateriale Productions
Another cosplay you debuted at Katsucon was a crazy cute Vulpix gijinka! What was it like creating her? The wig was incredible! :D
Burlesque costume design is my true passion! After I created my Eevee burlesque design for Otakon of 2015 I have really loved doing burlesque Pokemon designs. I did a burlesque Eeveelution group at Katsucon 2016, and was really excited to do more burlesque Pokemon designs. Vulpix is my favorite Pokemon, so it was only natural I gave her the burlesque treatment next. I drew up the design myself and then sewed some new parts from her, like the tails and the corset. I also re-used some parts from my Eevee, like the gloves and underwear. I also re-used my Ahri tail harness to save money on the design.
The wig was styled by rolling strands of hair around some rolled-up paper, then pinning it in place and using hair spray to keep the shape. I made the ears out of worbla and fabric and then sewed them into the curls of the wig!
Your own personal website is fitted out with a blog which you occasionally write on. Is that an enjoyable aspect of cosplay for you to do?
I enjoy it! With school I don't have nearly enough time to keep up with it as much as I'd like, but I try to update it whenever I have something to write about! I plan to do some write-ups on Vulpix and Ciri soon!
In addition, you also have been working hard on your Patreon offering Boudoir content among other awesome exclusive stuff. How has it been overall since you started one up?
The start of Patreon for me was very slow, my Patreon only really took off in the 4 or 5 months. But all my fans on there are super sweet and excited to see new content and it makes me really happy! As of right now, I only make enough to cover some of the cost of materials for new costumes, but I am so thankful to have people who think my work is good enough to support monetarily!
What do you think about cosplay as it is now hitting the mainstream?
I think it's great! I love seeing new people get into the community so long as they're respectful!
Photo by CosLife
Do you have any upcoming cosplays for this year that you’re able to share?
I plan to debut my finished Tracer and Blue Eyes White Dragon Ballgown at PAX East! I also have Beatrice from the Umineko visual novel and Seto Kaiba from YuGiOh for sure planned for the summer! Lots more plans, but I can't spoil them all!
Do you imagine cosplaying being a part of your life within the next 5 years and do you hope to evolve your skill set?
I really hope so! I still have so much to learn about cosplay techniques, and from going to fashion school my sewing skills have evolved so much I really want to show off all the new techniques I've picked up!
What’s a day in the life of Azumii?
Wake up, go to class, do marketing, homework, cosplay work, then go to bed! Sometimes I even remember to eat!
Where did the name Azumii come from?
When I was in 5th grade a classmate asked to play with me and what my name was. I told her my name, and she said "You don't look like a Meagan, you look like an Azumii." And I'm not sure how popular that little girl was but I guess really popular because the next day everyone was calling me Azumii. So the name just stuck!
Any upcoming game releases you’re looking forward to?
Pyre, from SuperGiant Games! I played the demo at PAX East 2016 and have been dying to play it ever since.
Do you have a favorite convention?
ColossalCon is my favorite anime con and Katsucon is my favorite con for photos. But PAX East is probably my favorite con of all time!
Is there a dream location where you’d love to do a photo-shoot of a cosplay of yours? Do you even have an outfit picked out for said location?
The University of Coimbra General Library, actually! I think it's absolutely beautiful. I know I'd wear a ballgown, but I'm not sure if it would be a cosplay or a fashion design!


Photo by Boyfriend Cosplay and Photography
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't thank Azumii enough for not only doing this Interview with me, but for supporting me and showing me so much kindness! I highly recommend you check her out on the following pages below! You will not be disappointed I promise. Also she has a REALLY CUTE VOICE <3. Thanks for reading guys!

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/AzumiiCosplay
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/InappropriCat
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/azumiicosplay/
Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Azumii

What's Popular?