Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Feature: Ely Renae's Zero!

Photo by Dosik Lens
You might remember my buddy Ely Renae from her outstanding Aloy cosplay from Horizon Zero Dawn (which is fitting seeing as that game just celebrated its release! However, earlier this year she debuted a badass version of everyone's favorite Maverick hunter Zero from Mega Man! What's interesting is that this was Ely's first full foray into using EVA foam as a material. You probably wouldn't be able to guess at first glance that foam was used for this! The armor pieces look more so like they were done with a futuristic material. I imagine that's what Ely was hoping for and if so she nailed it! The color scheme is made up of red and silver/gray with a touch of green in the headpiece! Starting from there, the head piece has a horn like piece in the center with the ear coverings on the side pointing down sharply! The paint job is also pretty stellar as there's some of that metallic rust/weathering (at least to my eyes) seen here. The namesake of the character can be seen on her bracers too!


Photo by Anna Cosplay Photography
Unfortunately though there's not much else I can look at based on the photos I found of this cosplay. The one on the left gives a good side view and a glimpse at the blonde ponytail which is more like an iconic part of Zero. Plus the bracer/gauntlet has a green gemstone inserted much like the one in the helmet. Whether or not Ely's still waiting on more pictures back is a mystery to me. The main chest piece looks super intricate and all the little details shine in the photos I have for you guys! I'm curious as to how the lower areas were constructed and I hope more photos pop up eventually.

The editing in some of the pics reflect mainly the colors that Zero is known for. Also Ely is seen with what looks like to be a lightsaber of sorts as a weapon prop for the character. Apologies for the shortness of today's feature but I don't know if I can come up with anything else to say at this time :/. That being said this cosplay had me so hyped when Ely announced she was working on it and the end result is nothing short of spectacular. I hope you guys can agree <3.

Photo by Elysium Entertainment
I cannot recommend Ely's work enough for you guys! Not only does she do awesome stuff like this, but she also designs cosplays for others as commissions and let's just say I tapped her brain to create my next outfit I'll be working on hopefully soon now that PAX East is over :D. Please check out her work here!

What's Popular?