Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Showcase: Mink the Satyr's Magicarp!


When my mythical friend Mink the Satyr was planning a Magicarp gijinka, I was super amused as to how she would pull it off. Well, she literally took the magic part of the famed useless fish and made it a central theme to the whole creation. Yup, you're looking at Magicarp as if it were some grand wizard. Though I imagine if it acted like it's fictional counterpart, it'd know only the dumbest of spells! The bright shades of orange, red and yellow make up the main color scheme of the whole ensemble. A wizard like hat starts off the cosplay with material that's most likely made of a leather like material. Here it looks as if it was done with literal fish skin! A big yellow trim rounds out the lid piece of the hat. The main piece itself looks small in the front in a leotard like fashion. However, it gets crazy when you turn around and check out Mink's backside. Though I'll get to that down below! The frontal area is covered in a shiny red shaded fabric that's formed to look like fish scales!

The sides eventually extend downward with an orange fabric that most likely is wrapped around for her backside. Long strands of yellow/orange hair extend from her wig which is at a much darker shade of orange for its base. The makeup Mink i wearing is super cute here too! One shoulder is adorned with a Magicarp face and it's kind of hilarious. This was possibly done with foam or worbla as is common for most armor pieces! Mink's arms have long white drapes coming down to give that sort of majestic feel to the cosplay!

Of course it doesn't stop there though! Mink is fully decked out in leg armor consisting of a variety of pieces and rounded shapes. Much like the hat, it's texture makes it look as if real fish were used in the process. That'd be a bit gruesome, even for a Magicarp! The photos take advantage of the various scenery that's around the Katsucon area. For example, you can see some shots were taken at the beach, and some were done in the garden like areas of the Atrium! Mink does a wonderful job capturing the derp of Magicarp in some shots and even came prepared with a plush version to pose with! I only wish I had gotten to see this in person! Enjoy the photos guys! :) At the time this goes up, Mink does have improvements done and incoming, including a prop fitting for the cosplay!





All Photos by Chris Goss Photography!

Please check out Mink the Satyr's page for more amazing designs, Pokemon pins and even hoodie designs! Plus from a personal view, she's an absolute sweetheart, you won't be disappointed :)

What's Popular?