Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Showcase: Jessica Nigri's Sindragosa

Photo by FakeNerdBoy. Edit by Beethy Photography

If you thought that I wasn't gonna feature this cosplay, then you probably haven't been reading this blog long enough XD. Once again, Jessica Nigri decided to team up with Illustrator Zach Fischer for another crazy as hell character design. Heading back to the world of Warcraft, Jess wanted a design based around the undead frost wyrm and former consort to Malygos, Sindragosa! If you were to put this side by side with Jessica's Deathwing (which I showcased awhile back here!) then there's no doubt in my mind you could pick out the similarities in the construction. Jessica created this cosplay for Katsucon last month and yes I did see it in person. Let me tell you guys, it was super incredible to see. Awkward hugging and Jess mangling my face with her claws happened as well. I've been picking out photos of this cosplay in eager anticipation to share with you all so I hope this post does the Showcase format justice.

Much like Deathwing, Jessica slaved away at Sindragosa since December of last year. You can already guess that foam and Worbla were involved in the process. With the latter material, Jessica used Black Worbla for most of the armor pieces and spikes that are covering the dragon. What was pretty rad to learn was that clear/transparent Worbla was used for the light up areas on the pauldrons, crown and breast plate. Along with other areas of course! As for how though, Jess discovered that you can dye clear worbla so that was done in a dark shade of blue. Once they were placed in the areas needed, she wired through LED lights and attached battery packs in well hidden spots in the cosplay. The armor as a whole really has this ice cold/undead vibe to it which fits the dragon's nature when she appeared in the Wrath of the Lich King expansion pack to World of Warcraft! Apoxie sculpt and clay were used for some of the skull shapes (if I remember from the video which I'll talk about later below) and covered in worbla for stability!

Photo by Photographes Sans Frontieres
Sindragosa's set up consists of 2 massive pauldrons, a crown, breastplate, gauntlets that travel up her arms a good length, a belt with the most insane center piece, and leg armor. There's also of course the tattered/weather cape coming from the back and a beautiful icy blue wig. Oh and Jess was covered in spray paint of the blue variety. That shows how damn dedicated she was in bringing this design to life. The arms are basically all the armor layered up on top of blue gloves which Jess used for easy comfort to slip on and off. The choker around her neck has a single chain link which symbolizes the pet nature (I'd like to think?) that Sindragosa was forced to have with Arthas in the game.

Black, gray, white and blue were the main colors used for the paint job. Beautifully done and perfectly weathered to show off that dread look. The tattered cloth can also be seen hanging off of her belt area which itself is decorated with dragon horns and blue spheres (see I could have said balls but I didn't) directly below it. Well over 100 spikes and pieces were created for the horns you see all over the place. If there's one thing I learned from Jessica's creation video is that Zach is a sadist XD. Blue lines are seen coming down from Jessica's eyes on top of the VERY blue contacts she's wearing. Makeup overall is on point! On top of the crown are blue spikes that were painted as well. It's hard to tell if they also have LED lights embedded inside them.

Jess' creation compared to Zach's design
You better believe this outfit was screaming for photo opportunities and they certainly did not disappoint! Ryan (also known as FakeNerdBoy) took a couple of shots during one shoot I was at for a little bit and Beethy Photography took a few and edited them beautifully. The top image you guys see shows the light up areas shining super brightly. Outside shots are also present as well as the many indoor shots taken alongside Katuscon's iconic scenery. Again Jess had a desire to show everyone in the cosplay world the kind of skills she knows along with creating badass and sexy female characters. In my Deathwing writeup I ended the post saying that I was eager to see how she'd top that cosplay. Well she did, and I'm pretty much confident Jessica will always improve after each cosplay even if the scope differs. She always brings characters to life so accurately and whether they're sexy or not, Jess has the time of her life becoming the her creation and works it like a boss flaunting everything she's got. Check out the many pics I picked out for you guys! Also here's a list of materials Jessica used (most likely that is)

Possible Materials List:
Black Worbla
Body Spray Paint
Gloves
Grey, Black, White and Blue paint
Clear Worbla
Foam
LED lights
Apoxie Sculpt
Ice Blue Wig
Blood, Sweat and Tears



Photo by MineralBlu Photography
Photo by David Ngo
Photo by Extra Noodles Co.
Photo by Hala Z Photography
Photo by Jeremiah Seymour Photography
Photo by Photographes Sans Frontieres
Much like her Deathwing last year, Jessica created a time lapse cosplay creation video of the whole damn thing. If you want, watch the video for even more insight into her process and learn things I may have missed in the write up :) Also added are links to the FB pages of Jess and Zach, plus Jessica's Patreon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxlbuT6AE7U
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialJessicaNigri/
https://www.patreon.com/JessicaNigri
https://www.facebook.com/ZFillustration/

What's Popular?