Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Game Review: Batman-The Telltale Series


To read my Review on Tales from the Borderlands, click here!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When it was announced last year that Telltale would be taking on the Batman franchise, my interest for it grew a whole lot. Having played through their Borderlands story, I was entranced by the story that it told and immediately fell in love with the characters in it. If I had to really look at my own hobbies/interests recently, then comic books would be a close second if not tied with my love for gaming. Batman and his whole mythos definitely gets my attention, hell Nightwing is my all time favorite comic book character. What's even more interesting is that this has no real connection to the comics or Batman's prior canon. Rather it takes from his ever evolving universe and collection of characters and creates its own story. What's seen here is Bruce having been Batman for not much of a long period of time. Some villains do make an established appearance but what you'll see here are the main adversaries have their origin stories told/form.

One selling point this game had was that you'd have a lot more opportunities to play as Bruce Wayne. Something even the recent (and beloved) Arkham games didn't touch on. I'm happy to report that Bruce gets a lot of time in the spotlight (more so depending on the choices the player makes) which makes for interesting character dynamics that you probably only see in comics and or in the films. Like most Telltale games the series is released in episodes with the choices carrying over to the next installment. Definitely encouraging the player for a possible replay using different choices in key events. When you're not making choices in conversations, it's mainly quick time events and walking around areas.


An example of the QTE's in the game
The walking around portions are similar to what was found in TftB but a new element involves Batman investigating crime scenes and linking stuff together. This end results into a fully reconstructed event which was definitely something introduced in the Arkham games. You're given some customization in selecting the color of what your Bat-Tech illuminates. Notable characters include Harvey Dent, Oswald Cobblepot, James Gordon, Carmine Falcone and many other fan favorites.

The over arching plot of Batman is you campaigning for your longtime friend Harvey Dent in his bid for mayor. Of course that takes a turn for the worse when a terrorist group known as "The Children of Arkham" interfere and enlisting the help of some villains you may already know. Some of which I may have already slipped earlier in this write up! There's also an interesting twist thrown in that (as far as I know) is something which wasn't done in the comics before. Some events in the episodes will have you decide whether you participate in it as Bruce or Batman. This again highlights the ability for more spotlight for the playboy rather than the vigilante. Each episode concludes with a summary of these key choices and how you sided alongside other players.


What's rad is that alongside my own play-through, I watched through the same game as played by well known YouTuber Jacksepticeye and he made several choices different than mine. This altered the game with new sequences and little additions that even I didn't understand. From deciding whether to save Harvey or Catwoman, to reclaiming the stolen WayneTech or protecting Alfred and your home. Different sequences mean different QTE's and interesting dialogue from the characters. As expected, the cast did a phenomenal job portraying the characters and some of the delivery was on point for them. I truly enjoyed how the story developed as each episode was subsequently released. One thing I picked up on is that the choices you can make can turn you into the versions of Batman that many are familiar with. For example, when apprehending Carmine Falcone, you have the option to turn him over to the police after holding on to him to prevent him falling, or you can brutalize him by stabbing a pipe through his freaking leg 0-0. Calm Deliverer of Justice? Straight up Dark Knight? The choice is yours!

My only gripes relate to the fact that I played some of these episodes the day they were launched. This led to some lag issues and some glitches which rendered figures invisible/glitching out. The Batman Telltale series is a wonderful addition to the developer's repertoire of amazing games in story telling. You really get a sense for Gotham City and its corrupt/polluted ways.




Should you Play this Game?
Yes! Batman: The Telltale Series is an exciting addition to the Caped Crusader's history. Fantastic voice acting, stellar music and a gripping story make this a thrilling experience. For the first time, the Dark Knight gets a back seat as an opportunity to play Bruce Wayne's role is a welcome addition to the character's media of interpretation. 

What's Popular?