Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Feature: Danquish's SubReaper....or ReapZero?

Photo by David Ngo
If you can recall from my previous feature on Danquish, he's one of the most passionate individuals in the cosplay world. There's also the fact that the franchises he's enamored by are ones he famously professes in cosplay. Mortal Kombat's Subzero being one of them. What do you do when you have another franchise's love creeping in alongside one of the biggest cons looming up? MASH UP! For today, Danquish decided to mash up Reaper (everyone's favorite edge lord from Overwatch) with a colored skin inspired by Subzero of MK fame. The end result is a menacing/badass cosplay that I feel someone like Danquish feels completely at home with. The cosplay itself is a recreation of Reaper's standard black cloak with various belts and ammo attached to his front side. It's mainly the armor pieces that bring in the Subzero part of this combination. For some of these pieces (which I'll get to down below) were done with assistance from some prop maker friends of his!

Photo by KC Studios
The armor pieces consist of arm guards, the infamous mask, a plate near Danquish's torso, and leg pieces. Each of these are tinted with a very deep shade of ice blue which again calls back to Subzero's color scheme. The gloves look to be fingerless and are definitely the style seen (at least to me) in motocross races. The long jacket is short sleeved and looks almost form fitted like which definitely allows muscle definition to be shown. The jacket comes up at the top with the hood slightly over the head. I have to hope that this wasn't too hot for Danquish to be in. Especially if it was for long periods of time!

I believe Henchmen Props helped in assistance with the mask and guns for its base construction. I apologize if that's incorrect. In any case, the guns are stunningly detailed and have a bulky like frame for the barrel. The mask is beautifully colored in ad another mention to Mortal Kombat is present in the form of a button that clasps the jacket together. The design of that is of course the logo to MK. Danquish does a stellar job posing as Reaper and the photos definitely do justice to how menacing he looks. Enjoy the other pictures I picked out! :D

Photo by Eurobeat Kasumi Photography
Photo by San Diego Imagery
Photo by San Diego Imagery
You won't find a more passionate individual like Danquish so I highly recommend you check out his work! Some badass creations for sure!

What's Popular?