Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Showcase: Danielle Beaulieu's Kawaii Ragnaros!

Photo by David Ngo
If I had to create a list of some of my most favorite cosplays I've seen this year, Danielle Beaulieu's Ragnaros would be on this list for damn sure. Ever driven by her desire to create and make funny/crazy epic builds, Danielle set out to make a humanoid version of Azeroth's infamous Firelord. Course I believe she got some temptations from friends to make it really funny so why not add in the kawaii like nature that you see above? Mainly represented in the giant anime like pig-tails, Danielle's Ragnaros is something to behold. A giant explosion of red, orange, and yellow make up the color scheme as she does her best to recreate some of the features that made Ragnaros stand out among the plethora of other WoW bosses/foes in the lore. To break it down basically, Danielle's rag is made up of armor alongside her waist, shoulder pieces, various arm pieces and leggings.

Adding in of course the breastplate (which I admit is small based on many other breastplates I've seen in the past from other cosplayers),  head piece with its crown and jaw guard alongside the pig tails. Oh did I mention the giant hammer that is Sulfuras? Rag's signature weapon is alive and well plus it includes lights on the inside for further detail/authenticity! Now with getting into the actual construction, Worbla was used in its construction, mainly the black variety. Danielle also mentioned the usage of transparent worbla for the hammer. Some of the magma like pieces and Sulfuras again light up. The flames sticking out of her shoulders look to be of an insulation foam of some kind or possibly actual fluffy material shaded in to match the cosplay as a whole.


Photo by Joits
Now that I look at the cosplay much closer with the pig-tails, some kind of fleece/stuffing was probably used for those shoulder parts I mentioned above since both look similar in material. Danielle is wearing arm coverings and leggings that are shaded a bright shade of yellow with hints of bright white at the bottom. Course she loves to go all out with cosplays like this so body spray was utilized for her stomach and face, much like when she did Sindragosa earlier this year.

The armor pieces are layered with magma rocks and seeping red "fire" in between each rock. Danielle mentioned she utilized the same method Jessica Nigri did back when she made Deathwing. There's also the edges of the armor pieces which were beautifully constructed/painted to look so smooth. A new material she tried out was used for some parts of this cosplay known as Thibra. I'm trying as best as I can to dissect this cosplay while also trying to keep some stuff secret since the progress was documented through Danielle's wonderful Patreon.

Photo by Carlos G. Photography
On the arm piece closest to her hands, are again the same material which makes up the flame spikes sticking out. The hammer looks to be easy to wield otherwise I'm not sure how Danielle would have managed to carry that around lots the whole day at BlizzCon. Two sides are protruding spikes while the center part has a spike coming out of it as well. Each face of the mallet is mirrored to its opposite side. The handle to it has a very wooden like feel/texture to it which looks so amazing. Some of the photos you'll see include the lush green trees near/around the convention center, while others are manipulated so that Danielle came from the Firelands herself! Also, what's not to love about a god being given legs and heels? I really hope you all enjoy the pictures I picked out and I apologize if it seems I didn't cover a lot in this write up!

Photo by Carlos G. Photography
Photo by Eurobeat Kasumi Photography
Photo by Martin Wong
Photo by Neeko Cosplay Photography
I will never stop singing all the praises I have for Danielle. She's such an incredible friend and arguably one of my biggest inspirations. Her cosplays make me smile consistently and she overall has such a wonderful personality. This outfit of hers sees her consistently raise the bar of her craftsmanship so I'm excited to see what she'll be doing next! I've got links to both her page and Patreon which I mentioned earlier!

What's Popular?