Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: League of Larcy Cosplay!


Everyone, meet League of Larcy Cosplay and holy crap do I adore her immensely already. Literally we've been chatting to each other for maybe a week or two after finding each other through my cosplay page. I instantly gravitated to her on similar interests (as cosplay does with everyone) along with enjoying her personality and company! As you can guess by her page name, Larcy is huge into League of Legends and has done several cosplays from the hit MOBA game. All of which geared around the Pool Party theme of skins (though she is planning other characters/skins)! Larcy is based in the East Coast and as always been a dreamer as she puts it. Growing up watching Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z introduced her to the type of culture that geeks make up. Along with being a huge Zelda and Pokemon nut, she's confident that she can out-geek her family in everything related to her interests.

Of course, the love Larcy has for these things is mutually accepted and borrowed within her family. You'll see in the interview how her Mom will read the books she does, and her sister is into the same shows as well. Larcy's been cosplaying for almost 10 years which is also the same amount of time she's been traveling to conventions. She first cosplayed as a gender-bend of Prince of Persia at Dragon*Con in 2009. Though many misinterpreted her as an Assassin from Assassin's Creed, that didn't stop her from having an absolute blast. It's definitely something to have Dragon*Con be your first big con!

In the questions that'll soon follow, you'll learn a lot of details that Larcy goes into answering them. A quick bio on why Lulu is her favorite League character, along with a glimpse into her former World of Warcraft days (which lead to the cosplay name), her IRL job, and a whole lot more. Though you might not think of it with the pictures I have to share for this post, Larcy has done many more cosplays. Prince of Persia is one as I've mentioned above, along with a few characters from the anime Fairy Tail. Judy Hopps from Zootopia is another big favorite of hers as well! Having just started up her cosplay page on Facebook, Larcy talks about what it's like owning one too!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What got you into cosplay and how long have you been doing it?
I have always been a dreamer. I play a lot of games and read a lot of books, and some days I just wanted to leave my own body and become those characters I cherish, have some adventures and make some memories. The first time I ever cosplayed was back in 2009, when I went to my first big convention, Dragon*Con.  I had tried out the convention life in 2008 when I went to Nekocon and had planned on dressing up, but never did.  I admired everyone’s costumes and their confidence and wanted that for myself. So, I decided to try it.
Which cosplay was the first you ever created?
The first cosplay I ever created was Prince of Persia. I modeled it after the movie costume, which was pretty basic: a gray cloak with red and black scarves. I made a gauntlet and also bought the Time Dagger, which was sooooooo cool at the time to me. I had been binge playing all the games, and the movie had just come out. I was a woman obsessed! I was sad however, because everyone thought I was a modified assassin from Assassin’s Creed.  But I went on and dug it out of the closet for a Boston Comic Con back in 2012 (I believe!)
Thinking back to the last convention you were at, did you enjoy it?
The last convention I was at was Boston Comic Con, and while it was a shorter trip (just one day), I definitely had a good time. I got to reconnect with Ivy Doomkitty, whom I very much adore. She is a wonderful person, and I love how she promotes positive body image and confidence. I usually wander around with just my love, but this time I had a small group of League of Legends cosplayers with me. I went as Pool Party Miss Fortune, which is a costume I put together rather quickly but enjoyed immensely when it came to running around and being in comfortable attire. Plus, the red hair was so much fun! I was disappointed however, because I like to use BCC to meet some of my favorite comic artists but this year there were less of them, including Babs Tarr, who does the new Batgirl! I love her art and usually have something for her to sign, but not this time.
Photo by Anthony Terrano
What cosplay(s) did you bring to this convention? 
Oh oops, I think I answered that one in my long winded spiel! Pool Party Miss Fortune, because running around in a bathing suit is never overrated!
What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
So far my favorite cosplay is my Pool Party Lulu. Lulu is a character from League of Legends who is very unique. As a child she was spirited away by fairies from her village (because she had few friends and they were so kind), and she re-emerges into society as a crazed fairy girl (in a nut shell!) She is funny to say the least. While her game play is limited to certain dances, motions and sayings, I still find lots of interpretations of her elsewhere that are just as fun! I find that I connect with her personality, as I love to laugh, love being weird and definitely enjoy all her strange mannerisms. As for the actual cosplay itself, I love the vibrant colors, the fun outfit, props and the pool party theme. I have actually made two interpretations of her shell wand, the first of which was shattered after seeing it’s 3rd convention! My second one has been downsized and is much easier to carry around. The first one happened to be a large, heavy staff, so I am happy with my second, smaller version. I also just created her minion, which is this really cute puffer fish that will be hanging off my wand and following me around! Can I also add, that a close second would be my Judy Hopps cosplay? I loved being a bunny cop, and my loving man even dressed up as Nick Wilde to compliment me!
What got you into being a geek?
I have always been a geek! I have been an avid reader since elementary school, and ever since the Nintendo, have been playing video games on all interfaces (Console and PC alike). I think my most favorite game growing up was Ocarina of Time, which was exclusive to the N64 when it first came out. I also watched a lot of anime shows, including Sailor Moon and Dragonball Z (and some Thundercats too…). I got to choose every day which show I would watch with my 30 minutes of TV time, so sometimes it was hard to pick, and other days I would sneak in both. As to reading, I think this summer alone I have literally consumed about 20-25 books.
Do you have any other members of your family who are into what you enjoy? Or are you at present the only “geek” in the family?
I can’t wholly say that I am the only geek in the family. However, I am a combination of what everyone likes plus my own interests. My mom likes to read everything that I read, and vice versa. My sister likes some of the games that I play and some of the shows that I watch. But otherwise, I am my own geek. And I definitely “out-geek” my whole family, but I am not ashamed. My mom likes to refer to my hobbies as “cute.”
You seem to primarily focus on (at the moment) League of Legends characters, which by extension is in gaming. Have you done video game cosplays mainly up to the point where you’re at now?
Actually, less than half of the cosplays I have done up to now are League of Legends! I admit, a lot of upcoming ones are LOL based, but there are several outside that game as well. My first cosplay, as mentioned before, was Prince of Persia. I have also done the Green Goblin, the girl Pokemon trainer Dawn from Black/White 2, Levy McGarden from Fairy Tail, Lucy Heartfilia from Fairy Tail, Wendy Marvel from Fairy Tail (Okay you got me, I LOVE FAIRY TAIL!), and one of my personal favorites, Judy Hopps from Zootopia! So, for future cosplays, yes there are more LOL plans, but with a healthy mix of my favorite TV shows.
So far, your League cosplays consist of their Pool Party skins. From Lulu to Miss Fortune, is that theme of skins your favorite?
It is one of my favorite themes for sure, but I think my all time favorite theme is Arcade! I have not done any Arcade themed cosplays, but I may attempt one in the future. However, I find Pool Party to be extremely fun and also convention friendly (since the crowds in most conventions make most venues very warm). They are also easier to maneuver in (minus the pool ring, but I like to think of that as a buffer against people when they bump into me! They kind of bounce off me and roll away, which I find amusing...)
You seem to have just started up your own cosplay page as well as filling an album of upcoming characters that you wish to cosplay. What’s it like operating/running a Facebook page despite the many algorithm changes they’ve made?
Operating my Facebook page is rather easy. It’s not especially popular at the moment, and I have very few followers there, but I use it as a reference to people or a way to share my creations with the public. My personal Facebook is private so anything I post there is strictly friends-only. The page is basically just bragging rights, at the most basic of terms. Unfortunately, it’s harder to promote my page than it is my Instagram, but my cosplay page has ALL my photos that Instagram does not. I also use my page to keep my cosplay name and my real name separate. While I love taking credit for what I do, I try not to give out my true identity to everyone. It’s almost like being a superhero, haha!
Out of all your upcoming cosplays, which one are you looking forward to make the most?
Oh THAT’S EASY. Peridot. From Steven’s Universe. Because you are all CLODS. ALL OF YOU. I WILL SQUASH YOU ALL BENEATH MY GRAVITY CONNECTORS!
What do you think about cosplay as it is now hitting the mainstream?
I think cosplay is a great way to make a statement about yourself and who you are, while in the same breath stepping into someone else’s shoes. What better way to discover who you are than by trying on someone else’s shoes? Or showing tribute for the things that you love? I think it is an incredibly positive community in an incredibly negative world. Cosplay is something good that the whole world needs. It brings people together, creates happiness and promotes positive self image. What better way to bring people together than to nerd-out together? I love it!
Do you have any upcoming cosplays for this year that you’re able to share?
Well in a few weeks I will be attending Another Anime Convention in Manchester, New Hampshire. I will be returning as Pool Party Lulu, but I will also be trying TWO new cosplays. The first being Dynasty Ahri from LOL, and the other, well that’s top secret and you will just have to wait and see! Dynasty Ahri intrigued me because it is a completely different style than I am used to. The cosplay is a small, kimono-like outfit with tall socks and an updo I am afraid I will struggle with when it comes time to style my wig! I will have one tail, (instead of the NINE that Ahri usually has) more for comfort than anything, since nine would be very heavy and hard to maneuver through crowds. I am very excited to try her out!
Do you imagine cosplaying being a part of your life within the next 5 years and do you hope to evolve your skill set?
Oh this is a definite YES shouted from the rooftops. I LOVE cosplaying! It has improved my self-confidence significantly! And it makes me so happy to dress up as my favorite characters and to pretend to be them. It’s just so fun! I can only get better from here on out. I would definitely like to improve upon my sewing and prop making. Every costume brings forth a new challenge, whether it is creating an article of clothing from scratch or trying to put together a prop. I am also all for recycling cosplays, so I love when I can pull articles from one cosplay and use it in another! For example, I play on re-using my green goblin leotard in my future Peridot cosplay! I don’t think I will ever try Green Goblin again, since everyone thought I was Dr. Doom. Spiderman is my favorite hero so I was bummed that no one associated me with him. And I just had this huge realization: I think I have a thing for leotards.

What’s a day in the life of Larcy? Where did your page name come from?
A day in the life of Larcy can be either very exciting or very… not. My 9-5 so to speak is working in a laboratory as a MAD SCIENTIST. MWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHA! I work long shifts, so I definitely feel a little madness at the end of the day. But when I am home, I am your typical person who gets up, works out, drinks 999 cups of coffee and then indulges several different hobbies of gaming, reading, creating stuff and playing in the outdoors.
As for my name, that is a short-long story. I am a previous World of Warcraft player, and one of my best, most cherished friends, had a character he played called Larcynis. It was a random name that was generated and the character was a much-loved priest who was later renamed Ado. When he cast off the name of Larcynis I took up the mantle on a death knight, who later became one of the most formidable death knights on the server. Larcy was the nickname given since no one knew actually how to say the name (“larce-in-iss” like arsonist…!). Larcy was not my main character in that game however, so my nickname didn’t stick until later. I was formerly known as the shadow priest Harmonia, or Harm, deemed by most. Larcy came later when I started using the name as my main name in League of Legends, Guild Wars and a few other lesser games.  But I wear the name with pride, as it was taken up with love and honor.
Any upcoming game releases you’re looking forward to?
I have a few games reserved that I am awaiting with much anticipation, including Pokemon Sun and Moon AND The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I am a MAJOR Legend of Zelda geek, and I own all the games, several different versions/copies of some, an actual Ocarina of Time and several books. And I have been teasing the idea of a Steampunk female Link. But only teasing. And I may have some patterns. Maybe… Otherwise, I have been out of the loop on upcoming games other than the pleasant surprises my friends drop on me every now and then. Oh, and I definitely own almost all the Pokemon games (all the non-dungeon ones), minus maybe one because I lost it years ago.

Do you have a favorite convention?
I am not sure if I have a favorite convention since all of them are very enjoyable and fun-filled! I have only been to one far away convention, so most that I attend are local to the New England area. But I guess if I had to choose I would say it’s a tie between Portcon and Anime Boston! Portcon is the local convention we have up here every year in June and it’s full of friends and people I know, so it’s exciting to see people closer to me performing and enjoying themselves. Anime Boston was just a fun venue (I absolutely HATE Boston but I was happy to attend this one) full of people who love (and know!) all the animes that I love watching. Plus, there was sooooo much anime stuff that I thought my eyes would fall out from staring at all of it. And there were so many cool artists! They had a huge artist’s hall on it’s own floor that was just as big as the vendors area. I love meeting all the artists and seeing how they create their ideas into something solid and beautiful. It’s just amazing!
Favorite part of the female body?
I get the feeling you are trying to make me the butt of a joke here…….




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't thank Larcy enough for doing this interview with me. I really hope you guys enjoyed it and I would recommend you check out her page in a heart beat. She has so many future cosplays planned and I can't wait to see them! Some will get featured for sure :). Check out the links below!
https://www.facebook.com/leagueoflarcy/
https://www.instagram.com/leagueoflarcy/

What's Popular?