Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Feature: Spectra Cosplay's Cyborg!

Photo by Jason Laboy Photography
Spectra Cosplay is pretty knowledgeable on EVA Foam when it comes to using it cosplay wise. I'm pretty sure I've said this exact statement in previous features as well as the Interview I had with him awhile back. It's still true with the cosplay I have to share with you. Spectra enjoys immensely the many popular black characters that exist in the comic world. So it's no surprise that he felt a connection to DC's resident cyborg...uhhh...Cyborg. In the past, Spectra's actually cosplayed as him before so this is an updated version for him. If I remember from looking at the photos, this is the New 52 version as seen in the Animated Movie based off of the Throne of Atlantis crossover in the comics. Most of Spectra's EVA cosplays consist of a one piece suit worn which then has all the pieces attached together.

Photo by David Ngo
So for Cyborg, we see a variety of shoulder pieces and bracers. The chest piece looks to be a single section with multiple parts combined together. Red circular parts are visible throughout the cosplay as well. The headpiece looks to also have been made with foam and a strap can be seen which allows it to be held in place. Spectra's legs are covered in a variety EVA pieces. Shin guards, leg coverings, all that stuff. Straps are slightly visible also on the other areas for support and holding them in place.

What's perhaps the signature piece of Spectra's Cyborg is of course the gun arm that's seen in the photos. Based on my impression, it looks like the bulk of it is one medium size piece of EVA foam rolled up with smaller pieces placed on various sections of the large one. The end of the gun is shaped circular and has an insert colored red. To mimic Cyborg beginning to unleash a blast on enemies in front of him. The arm looks to be detachable which allows Spectra to slip it on like a glove. The cosplay looks to have been debuted at NYCC last year, so the city setting is perfect for Cyborg. The lighting in some of the shots highlight certain sections of the cosplay. I'm a pretty big fan of how this ended up so I hope you all enjoy the photos to come below!

Photo by Darien D Hester-Photography and Design 
Photo by MineralBlu Photography
If you haven't checked out Spectra Cosplay's page, please do! The guy has a tremendous amount of passion for both the craft and the characters he portrays. I'm always looking forward to what he can create next!

What's Popular?