Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Showcase: Jessica Nigri's Necromancer Totoro!

Photo by Martin Wong
You can pretty much always expect greatness when Jessica Nigri teams up with Zach Fischer in designing and constructing a concept/character that's truly out of this world crazy. For San Diego Comic Con this year, Jess created a few new cosplays, them being Necromancer Totoro and a gender-bend on Roadhog from Overwatch. The latter cosplay seemed to be getting lots of interest/love during and after the con so I thought why not focus on the Necromancer. I was pretty much super hyped for this collaboration anyways since Jess and Zach knocked it out of the park with previous designs. From what I understand, the Necromancer is a person you'd probably see as a villain or in some cases as a class in typical RPG's. They deal with using the spirits of the dead to enhance their powers and do some mind blowing spells. Given the character Totoro from the Studio Ghibli film, I believe it's a solid match. Course it's been awhile since I first watched the film so again I could be completely wrong in my type casting.

Photo by Martin Wong
As a whole, Jessica used foam and black Worbla in construction of the numerous armor pieces along with the axe. Using carving tools and a Dremel (I imagine) to get in the extra detailing like the wood effects on the axe handle. Shoulder pads and gauntlets cover her arms with very little skin showing, that is until you get to the body portions. A breastplate and belt/pants make up the front area. Fur is used as a back piece for comfort which I feel is typical for armor of this caliber and dependent on the character being portrayed. The fur was either this shade at the start or Jess dyed it. I love the combination of colors on the armor, the brown and gray really mesh well together.

The pieces on the belt are crafted expertly well and I love the little differences between them. Getting back to the arm gauntlets, spikes can be seen protruding  from it which is repeated down towards her leg armor. In addition, the leg armor has this incredibly creepy face designed in them with the teeth being bared. Very totem like features on them as well. Fur covers the near bottom piece of Jess' feet here too. One of the major pieces to Necromancer Totoro has to be the hood that Jess is wearing. I imagine it wasn't too covered in whatever made up the design on account of the fur used that's trailing down her back. Literally her entire back is covered!! The fur is of a dark gray shade with the top of the hood having Totoro's face designed in. Ears also extend at the top and green is also used color wise.

As I mentioned earlier, the axe is also something that's quite impressive. Tiny circles are used as divots along the handle and those are actually painted in google eyes. Totoro's face is seen etched into the axe blade with eyes and ears. Coming off the end of the axe is a sharp pommel that actually looks like a mini axe. There's also straps coming down too. There were some pictures taken at the con, but Jessica took a trip up to Colorado along with photographers Dave Yang and Martin Wong (with Ryan and several others) to really capture a more nature look. Plus it's just so incredibly fitting for this design. Jess also has markings along her legs and stomach. In addition to whiskers drawn on her face. I love the makeup here as a whole. Jessica and Zach nailed it with the design, it definitely wasn't something I expected. I already can't wait to see how Jess uses her skills to make more incredible cosplays! Enjoy the pictures!

Photo by Dave Yang 
Photo by Martin Wong
Please check out Jessica Nigri's page (if you haven't already) for more outfits varying from sexy, cute to outlandishly amazing. Plus I also have a link to a time lapse video Jess uploaded that shows the creation of her Axe so you can get more details in case I missed stuff!

What's Popular?