Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Showcase: Jaycee Cosplay's Katsucon Lineup!

Photo by Jason Laboy Photography
I imagine you're all aware of the huge cosplay crush I have on Jaycee Cosplay right? So it only was reasonable for me to feature her full lineup that she had for Katsucon this year! All of Jess' outfits were on the gorgeous side of the cosplay spectrum (yes I did make that up just now, deal with it) and majority of it were Pokemon gijinka based. So that just fueled my excitement even more! For the convention, Jess brought 3 brand new cosplays. Each of which were done with some assistance. The outfits included Morrigan from Darkstalkers in her Kimono/Yukata alternate outfit, and gijinkas of Espeon and Samurott from Pokemon! I'll be going into the details of each cosplay as best as I can, along with showing you guys a bunch of photos I collected through Jaycee's page along with a couple other amazing photographers she shot with!

So why not kick things off with the cosplay you guys see up above? In full, Jaycee's Espeon was a burlesque take on the Psychic Eeveelution as part of an Eeveelution group! Cosplayers Dulcinea and Squirrel Cosplay Cave helped make Jess' design come to life. Frills make a common appearance throughout the cosplay. What makes it up is a blouse/corset combo covering her main torso. Above that is the cutest purple bra I've ever seen! The bottom of the corset is extended further (again, looks like a blouse) that covers behind her. Dark purple frills line the bottom of this as well as the cuffs of her small jacket that Jaycee wears over the cosplay. Garters and stockings make up the leg area too!

Photo by GooJunky Photography
The front of the lower area is exposed to show short frilly purple pants. These then hook up to the stockings which I think make up the whole garters. I apologize if I got that wrong, I'm not all too familiar with lady clothing XD. Purple dress shoes round out covering her feet, matching with the rest of the ensemble. Jess also has a white collar and circlet wrapped around her forehead. I think this references Espeon's sole jewel on the face. The wig is just absolutely beautiful and the ears are big and poofy. Most likely stuffed up to give it that volume. What's really interesting is that the pictures show the cosplay in different lighting situations.

With effects and editing (some of which were done by Jaycee herself I believe), the purple looks to be of a much darker/color rich tone. Natural lighting such as at the con show off how some parts are different from the others! Jess of course smiling in some of the pictures while others giving a stoic look really matches up with Espeon's nature as being a calm/collected Pokemon. Jumping over to Morrigan, Jaycee has a long kimono decorated in the succubus' primary color theme. Along with Aerilaya as Lilith, the two of them look drop dead gorgeous in the finished shots. A deep blue/purple make up the dress, with little bat imprints covering from head to toe.

Photo by David Ngo
Jaycee has a pink wraparound over her waist. This is decorated with sparkly bits and a flower in the center with bead strips extending down from it. Flowers also make a reappearance in the wig to symbolize that spring style that kimonos are known for representing. The wig itself is long and beautiful, with its color being a mint green, matching Morrigan's actual hair. In the photos, Jess and Aerilaya look so gorgeous together and I really can't get over that! The nature setting (even though that's probably like a fountain or plants in the hotel) really brings the cosplays together! Platforms are used in terms of shoes here as well!

Getting to what might be my favorite out of the whole lineup, Jaycee had the awesome people at Hi Wire Costumes create a gijinka design that she drew up for Samurott. Having cosplayed Oshawott before, I imagine this was fun for Jess to do a fully evolved form. This was done for another Pokemon starter group that included Aerilaya (as Serperior which I plan on featuring soon!) along with other gorgeous ladies as other starters! The main idea/theme for her Samurott is that of an elegant samurai. Similar to Morrigan, a kimono makes up the main part. Blue and gold are the main colors here throughout the cosplay and the way it looks on Jaycee gives her a beautiful figure too!

Photo by Cantera Image
The blue can be seen on the outside while gold makes up the inside. It's constructed in such a way that the behind is covered but her front is exposed in the legs. The varying shades of blue from the top to the near edges of the sleeves and bottom is one of my favorite parts. In the middle area below her bust, is an awesome design/pattern that's brought together with a shellfish in the center. This is a definite reference to the water starter's signature move Razor Shell. It's colored in as a pale yellow in keeping with the overall color scheme. Fishnets can be seen covering Jaycee's legs with straps near the bottom. It looks like they're some type of shin armor that she made. The armor is seen again up near her elbows.

Seashells are seen as part of a necklace and Jess even went and constructed a horn to place at the center of her forehead. Course it wouldn't be a samurai without a blade so Jaycee is seen posing with it in some of the finished shots. I absolutely adore this cosplay that I totally see myself buying prints of it in the near future. Plus, if I haven't mentioned it before, Jaycee and I are hopefully planning to do a photoshoot together sometime this year! Her as Samurott while I break out Greninja is primed for some awesome Starter Pokemon shots! That's pretty much all I have on Jaycee's incredible cosplays, and I do hope you guys enjoy the photos I picked out. Seriously this just further enhances how much I admire Jess and her work :D.

Photo by Jason Chau Photography
Photo byDavid Ngo 

Photo by Martin Wong 
Photo by Alex Valderana
Photo by Jason Laboy Photography
Photo by GooJunky Photography
Photo by Martin Wong
Photo by Valdman Photography
Photo by GooJunky Photography
Photo by SF Design
Photo by Cantera Image
Photo by Cantera Image
I know it may seem there was an abundance in Espeon shots, but that's because unfortunately Jess got sick while she was wearing Samurott. This prevented her to do some of the shoots she had set up with some of her friends. Hopefully more pictures will be taken in the future! Of course there's our little idea I mentioned too which has me so excited! If these cosplays interest you, then I can't tell you how much you need to check out Jaycee Cosplay's FB page! Her Pin Up Cap is another favorite of mine that she's done!

What's Popular?