Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Feature: Ms. Rae Cosplay's Hawkgirl!

Photo by Martin Wong
The excitement that I've been having for Ms Rae's Hawkgirl reached its tipping point when she finally debuted the cosplay at Katsucon this year. If memory serves, I believe that this was supposed to have been done for NYCC last year, but difficulties prevented that from happening. Nevertheless, the extra wait was worth it. This version of Hawkgirl is a bit more on the common/classic side but it looks absolutely killer. The cosplay consists of long green pants, boots shaded in a deep red, and the top which is mainly yellow with green inserts on the sides near her arms. Kelsea really went the extra mile and added in bracers along with the iconic mace and helmet. Oh, you saw the huge wings too right? Foam and Worbla were I think used in the construction of the mace and helmet. The spikes coming out of the mace head look really awesome. I think styrofoam was used for the top part? I could be mistaken!

Photo by Martin Wong
The helmet is painted in a dark brown with black stripes coming up from the center. Spines are extending from the sides and back as well. The bracers have silver buttons on the top and little holes for possible lacing if that ever happens. With addressing the wings, Kelsea did work out a harness of sorts to hold the wings in place. I imagine wiring was used in the structure along with the dozens of feathers you see in the wings. I love the hair in the photos too! What I think is neat, is how Kelsea's lipstick is of such a deep red, that it's easy to point out in the pictures I have for you guys! Standing out on its own.

Kelsea also does an awesome job with posing. Standing tall and badass like the Thanagarian warrior is meant to be. The brown belt holds several pouches along with the buckle portraying Hawkgirl's logo/symbol. The boots are lined with white accents in various areas throughout them! I was geeking out so hard when pictures of this started popping up. As always, she did not disappoint and in a way, leveled up with her crafting skills! Check out the other pictures I picked out for you guys!


Photo by Dave Yang Photography
Photo by Maze Studio 
Photo by Neeko Cosplay Photography
If you guys haven't checked out Ms Rae's Cosplay page, definitely fix that! Sailor Moon cosplays along with other awesome ladies present in her portfolio!
https://www.facebook.com/msraecosplay

What's Popular?