Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Feature: Byndo Gehk's Vivi!

Photo by Joseph Chi Lin
I find myself getting excited with each new cosplay that Byndo Gehk announces. Even though my experience/knowledge of Final Fantasy IX is very minimal (outside of Dissidia), I was very much looking forward to Byndo completing this for Katsucon a few months ago. The way that some of the parts look so huge on her is definitely adorable. Not to mention accurate if you've seen the character Vivi before. For the black mage, Byndo is clad in a blue jacket that's closed together by the straps in the middle. Underneath that is a simple black unitard of sorts. There's also red gloves, and classy spectacles with yellow/orange tinted lenses. The baggy shorts are especially small and have a striped pattern alternating between mint green and white. With a giant red belt to hold it up, I have a sneaky suspicion that Tetsuya Nomura was behind the character design. The man sure loves belts!

Photo by Vontography
I really love the texture of the blue jacket here. It has that leather-ish look but if I'm right, stretch vinyl or something along those lines was used. Watching her make parts of the cosplay on her occasional Twitch crafting streams was definitely enjoyable! The cuffs have a funky pattern with red trim along the edge. Knee high socks and tall brown boots make up her feet protection. Course, the defining parts of Byndo's cosplay have to be the giant hat and wooden staff. I'm not entirely sure how they were both made, but the staff looks to be foam! Otherwise, I imagine it would have been tiresome to carry around the convention.

The hat is very large in its size. Light brown base with a darker shade as the wrap around near the rim. For the wig, Byndo has long black hair with braids coming down from each side of her face. Despite the issue that Byndo had when she arrived at Katsucon regarding Vivi, I feel as if she had a blast wearing her. The poses she makes are so cute and the end result is just very magical in a certain way. Least that's how I view them! I hope you guys can see why with the other pictures I have for you!

Photo by David Ngo 
Photo by Eurobeat Kasumi Photography 
Photo by Tiger Shot Productions

Byndo Gehk has to be one of my personal favorite cosplayers to follow. She has a wide variety of characters that have been cosplayed, not to mention her adorably cheery attitude. I'm hoping to catch her at PAX East later this month! You should check out her FB Page if you haven't yet! Her Twitch streams are awesome too! :D
https://www.facebook.com/genderbynder

What's Popular?