Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Feature: Monika Lee's Wizard!

Photo by Carlos G Photography
I want to try and make this feature on Monika Lee a little extra longer than your typical one. Specifically because her Diablo 3 Wizard cosplay was what Monika wore the first time I met her at NYCC 3 years ago (that long wow 0_0). So naturally this is one of my personal favorites of hers and it's just worn so well. In particular I love the way purple looks on her, from the wig to the cute makeup. For reference, Monika used lots of art books from the game to construct her own version (unless this was a design taken from the book, apologies if I'm mistaken). Not only that but Monika went into great detail on how she made it in the very first interview I did for my blog with her! Ths cosplay itself was debuted I believe in 2012 but before NYCC since to me it looked like she had worn it once before.

Monika's Wizard was also the first cosplay she made from a Blizzard game which then kicked off her love of creating more cosplays from the franchise. As of now she's also made a Demon Hunter cosplay which you can view my feature of here! Looking at the cosplay itself, there are many types of fabric that Monika utilized in creating this. The color scheme is somewhat earth tones with the varying shades of brown, dark purple, red and gold trimmings everywhere. The headpiece she's wearing looks to be made of foam or some other hard material. I don't think it was Worbla since I can't remember when every single cosplayer started to use it. Possibly the following year this was made.


Photo by JwaiDesign Photography
There's also a giant head covering that can be seen along the backside of her head as well as a neck covering as well. Seen from the neck is a little red gemstone that's possibly made from resin. Monika's arm coverings look to be different in design but similar in the way they were shaped. Brown and deep violet colors can be seen with gold linings separating the fabrics. Her chest piece I really love with the fabric textures as well as the small vest she wears over it.

Her belt buckle looks to be crafted the same way the headpiece was. Another key part to this cosplay are the markings that can be seen on both her arms and stomach. These were of course done with help from some of her cosplay friends each time Monika wears this to a convention. If I can just gush about the wig for a second, OH MAN IT'S BEAUTIFUL! Seriously most of the pictures I have to share with you show her wig being a somewhat central point to the entire cosplay

The orb that Monika is holding has some LED lights embedded inside thanks to her engineering Dad. As such, the orb is capable of lighting up much like Byndo Gehk's Wizard which I featured not too long ago. The poses Monika makes in the pictures mainly involve her standing up straight or swaying to certain sides. The super close up pictures of her face are just drop dead gorgeous. These in particular highlight the wig which I adore in this cosplay. Yes I will mention it constantly, YOU CAN'T STOP ME >:). The imprints on the lower section of her chest piece look so interesting as well. Long story short, I love this cosplay Monika made for pretty much ever <3. I hope you guys like the photos I picked out for this!

Photo by Anna Cosplay Photography 
Photo by Carlos G. Photography
Photo by Saffels Photography
Photo by Sweet Sensation Photography
Seriously, go like Monika Lee's FB page if you haven't if you want to look at some seriously amazing cosplays! Also I included a link to an extensive write up she made for her website :)

What's Popular?