Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Kayla Erin!

Photo by Beethy Photography
This week I have for you guys an interview with the gorgeous Kayla Erin! I actually came across her from a very dear friend of mine who loves her to death. After taking a quick look at her work, I too fell in love with her. Kayla is based in Australia and has been cosplaying since 2012. She first discovered cosplay through YouTube and a group known as Fighting Dreamer's Pro! Kayla has cosplayed from all sorts of geeky media and doesn't really have a preference. Which allows her to extensively explore all types of characters. From badass ladies like Yang from RWBY to somewhat sexy like Juliet Starling.

Photo by Captain Cosplay
Kayla has started out small much like many other cosplayers with her first bought outfit being Naruto. When getting into making them on her own, her first cosplay was Ciel from Wonderland. Her most recent convention was Brisbane Supanova, there she wore her Juliet Starling, the Injustice Version of Harley Quinn and matching with fellow Aussie cosplayer Katyuska Moonfox as Tiki to her Tharja from Fire Emblem Awakening (these looked SO AWESOME!).

Kayla watched Dragonball Z and played Ratchet and Clank with her older brother. That instantly got her hooked on the geek/nerd culture. One of my all time favorite outfits Kayla has made was Yang as I mentioned above. For her, Yang gravitated to her on the basis of being very relatable to her. Tall female, blonde, boobs and her humor (which I imagine Kayla is hilarious in person). Below are some more questions I asked her, hopefully you guys enjoy them!


What got you into cosplay and how long have you been doing it?
I’ve been cosplaying since 2012. I first found cosplay on YouTube from a group called Fighting Dreamers Pro. I instantly feel in love and have never looked back. My life would be completely different without it.

Which cosplay was the first you ever created?My first ever bought costume was Naruto. I first ever self-made costume was Ciel in Wonderland. It wasn’t too hard from my previous sewing skills but every costume is a challenge.


Photo by Decade Three Photography
Thinking back to the last convention you were at, did you enjoy it?Last convention I was at was Brisbane Supanova. I had a blast! Met so many awesome people. Supanova is definitely my favorite convention.What cosplay(s) did you bring to this convention?Misty from Pokemon, Tiki from Fire Emblem and Harley Quinn from Injustice.

What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?I’m working on Leone from Akame Ga Kill and I’m really loving. However, Yang from RWBY is my favorite. Reason why is because of the RWBY fandom is so wonderful and sweet.


Photo by Kayla Erin
What got you into being a geek?
My older brother is a total nerd. I would watch Dragon Ball Z in the mornings with him and play Ratchet and Clank. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t be into it.

I’ve mentioned to you before that one of my close Internet friends introduced me to your amazing cosplay work and I definitely look forward to new outfits you have planned! One of my favorites of yours is your Yang from the Rooster Teeth show RWBY! Did you choose her specifically because you relate to her the most?As soon as I saw her trailer it was like love at first sight. I relate to her quite a lot. Tall girl, amazing humor, blonde (which I was at the time) and … BOOBS!What do you like most about the show? For me I enjoy the amazing fight scenes that take place!Same here, the fighting scenes are amazing. Monty does such a great job at it. Especially in his other series; Dead Fantasy.

Do you have a preferred medium (comics, games, anime) that you cosplay from and why?Not at all. I’ve cosplayed from all mediums. I simply pick characters that I like and cosplay them!I’ve really been enjoying the progress pictures of your Juliet Starling cosplay for PAX AUS! You look incredibly cute and I just know you’re going to knock it out of the park! Did you have any of her other alt costumes in mind before deciding on cosplaying her default costume?Thank you so much! Yes, I did. I was planning on either doing the pink rider suit or the red maid outfit but considering it was at PAX, they wouldn’t have liked the rider and not many people would have known the red maid.



One of your upcoming cosplays is a Fire Emblem Awakening pair with fellow Australian cosplayer Katyuska Moonfox (who I absolutely LOVE :D). What’s it like working with her on your outfits?I haven’t really been working with her so to say… we live in 12 hours away from each other haha. It was certainly fun being with her at the con though. Would definitely love to cosplay with her again! 


Photo by Decade Three Photography
Photo by Decade Three Photography
There you have it guys! Kayla Erin definitely shows a ton of talent with her cosplays and I am really excited to see her upcoming outfits! One of which is a version of Morrigan from Darkstalkers and it looks SO GOOD SO FAR YOU GUYS! Thank you so much Kayla for taking the time to do this and I hope you had fun answering them <3. If you guys want to follow more of Kayla's work, check out these links!

What's Popular?