Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Showcase: Kamui Cosplay and ALL THE WORBLA!

Photo by Darshelle Stevens
If you asked me to sum up Kamui Cosplay in 2 words, I'd most likely say Worbla and Blizzard. This is pretty much what she's most known for and is damn good at it. Kamui Cosplay was pretty much integral to introducing the material of Worbla to everyone else in the community around the world. Now you have cosplay stores online who sell materials as well as prevalent cosplayer Yaya Han who sells it through her site as well. Kamui alongside her husband make the most intricately designed and beautifully crafted armor I've seen in my time cosplaying. What about that second word Blizzard? That's referencing Blizzard the studio, responsible for games like Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo. Those ring any bells? These franchises are near and dear to Kamui and pretty much every outfit is from those series. Whether it's a race from Starcraft, the multiple class tier sets found in World of Warcraft, to even her mashing together franchises for her own original concepts (as seen above with the Protoss Wizard!). A good chunk of my cosplays would probably never exist had I now discovered Worbla thanks to her!

Photo by Benni
Kamui Cosplay has been working with Worbla ever since she found out about. Based in Germany, she spends most of (if not all) her time crafting outfits, weapon props (they look insane) and cosplay commissions! She's utilized many skills learned with armor making as well as painting for constructing these armor outfits. This led to her creating various books on the subject matter. I just look at all these pictures I have for you guys and just stare at the lines and details implemented. Firstly these cosplays take a tremendous amount of time. Kamui has stated that some days involve solely on creating the armor.

Some outfits clock in at well over 100 hours of work. The painting that both she and Benni do is simply phenomenal. The picture on the left for example, the blood spatter effects are incredible. Not to mention the giant axe she's wielding, as you would probably expect for a Barbarian class from Diablo 3 (I think that's what the outfit is). Kamui also constructs resin stones for her outfits, I myself purchased one for Meta Knight's sword and it's the perfect size! Some of these stones have LED lights added inside and those really make her cosplays pop. Again I reference her Protoss Wizard concept (Starcraft/Diablo mash-up if you didn't know), the various stones on her crown, shoulders, and staff shine incredibly bright!

Photo by Julia Krotzek
I feel like I covered everything there is for you guys to know about Kamui and her impeccable armor work. I'm so glad I discovered the material she helped introduce to the rest of the cosplay community. I wish I had time to go meet her at NYCC last month but that was just super crazy as you're all aware by now. In addition to all the Blizzard love, Kamui has also done outfits from Skyrim and even Wonder Woman of DC Comics. I encourage you all to visit her Facebook page where you get to see tons of outfits, tutorials on armor, and loads more behind the scenes-esque photos! The pictures I have for you guys are just a very small taste of what you can expect from Kamui Cosplay. I hope you guys enjoy them!







Photo by Benni
Photo by Benni
Photo by Benni
Photo by Kamui Cosplay 
Photo by Mike Rollerson
If you want to see more of Kamui Cosplay's work, check her out on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/KamuiCos

What's Popular?