Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Convention Report: Rhode Island Comic Con 2014

Kristen as Pin-Up Captain America
This past weekend I attended Rhode Island Comic Con for a second time. Much like last year, I went to see some of the cosplayers who were in attendance. I also made sure to try and walk around for some shopping (bought a few things). There were issues of course with the con itself but I was totally surprised with how many of my friends I saw! That really made the convention for me :). On Saturday I wore Riku which was a hit of some sorts. People stopped and asked for my picture which is always a great thing to hear. Lots of the attendees were big fans of the keyblade and completely impressed with it. The cosplayers that I mainly hung around with include Kristen Hughey (and her husband Bruce), Destiny Nickelsen, and Nicole Marie Jean (along with her boyfriend Colin Bass who makes one hell of a Nightwing ^_^).

Nicole's Red Sonja!
For the girls that were there, Kristen debuted her Pin-Up version of Captain America which I was stoked to see. If it's one thing that I love about Kristen is that she pulls off the pin-up look so well. On Sunday she wore her Velma cosplay which looked fantastic. Nicole wore her Red Sonja which I had seen before when I met her 2 years ago. This time though she added lots of battle wounds which added to the epic look of the outfit. Her Autumn version of Poison Ivy was worn on Sunday and that was a treat to see! I'm really looking forward to her Winter version of her :D.

The main complaint/issue that the convention had was that they unexpectedly capped the building. This involved the fire marshal being called and denying attendees entrance into the con. Even for people who had just got there and was stuck in traffic near the event. This mainly was why I was unable to see Destiny on Saturday because she didn't want to risk leaving the con to pick up her prints. Nevertheless I finally saw her on Sunday and she was rocking her Beetlejuice cosplay which looked awesome. Loved the make-up and green effects she added to her hair!

Destiny's Beetljuice!
I unfortunately didn't take lots of pictures of other cosplayers to show you guys but there were some pretty rad ones there. There was one I did take which was insanely awesome so I hope you guys enjoy the pictures. I hung out with my friends on Saturday mainly with one person staying with me the whole con (thanks Daniela :D) and running into people from school etc. That was definitely a highlight. One of my friends made a Gamora cosplay from Guardians of the Galaxy and it looked AWESOME! I also met voice actor Richard Horvitz who did the voices of Zim from Invader Zim and Billy from The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Seeing him actually do the voices was really amazing!

I snagged a few prints from each of the girls and an old Nightwing comic that I'm gonna read this week so I'm looking forward to that. With that being said, my convention season is now at a close. Mainly it was met with lots of high points and incredibly memorable events. I feel so thankful and incredibly lucky I got to spend them with some awesome people who inspire me so much. All the girls I mentioned this year are some of the sweetest people on Earth and they love chatting with those that enjoy their work. I encourage you to at least meet some of these ladies :) you won't be disappointed! Oh and I finally did a video interview with Kristen Hughey so that'll be up this Friday! Until then, enjoy the rest of the pictures!


Kristen's Velma!
Nicole's Autumn Poison Ivy!
This guy made the carpet over a skateboard which was awesome!
Badass Fallen Warrior Angel Cosplay!
Me and Colin! He was super nice, definitely have a Feature planned for him soon!

What's Popular?