Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Progress: Riku's Keyblade!

As I mentioned yesterday, the past week was spent carving the details in Riku's keyblade. This decision was a much better option in the long run. Originally I was planning on just covering certain parts with Worbla to add in that 3D effect. Now, the process involved using a Dremel tool along with a portable sander. Both of these were lent by my uncle who thankfully doesn't live too far away. I also had a friend bring his tools to teach me how to use them and we started that day working on very little parts but it was effective! What you're going to see is just progress pictures of the keyblade as it was being worked on. I like how you can see the slow transformation and it's current state really makes it look like the real deal!


Starting on one side of the handle!
When I first started, I told myself to not expect this to be picture perfect down to the right cut. Otherwise I would have tossed this out at the beginning of the week. The little experiments I did on certain areas worked and even make the prop pop even more. Riku is a dream cosplay for me since he's such a complex character in design and I really did surprise myself with how the keyblade looks at this moment! What remains is the other part of the handle needing to be patterned by my friend since I can't figure it out. Then I'm going to carve it down and sand. Once it's done, painting will be the next step and this weekend might be when I choose the correct colors! I also need a keyring and chain to attach Riku's attachment on the end of the blade (which you saw progress pictures of a few weeks ago). This is almost done you guys and I hope you like the pictures!

Part of the blade carved down!

One side of the keyblade carved down sans hilt and wing.

My idea for the orb worked!

Other side of the keyblade before the additions

Managed to give a bevel effect!

Got the wing down too!



What's Popular?