Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Convention Report: Hartford Comic Con 2014

For my second convention, I attended Hartford Comic Con located in Hartford, CT! For its first year, it was pretty awesome and I managed to see so many people that I knew were going to be there! Cosplay wise I wore Steampunk Nightwing again this time with his upgraded red tailcoat and it seemed to be enjoyed by people having been stopped several times for a picture which always gives me a smile!

Riki's Space Girl cosplay was awesome!
Much like RI Comic Con last year, I spent most of my time hanging around the area where the cosplayers were located. I was so happy to see Riki (Riddle's Messy Wardrobe) again and her Space Girl cosplay looked so awesome and extravagant, it was even an original design from her! I spent some time talking with her about cons and my Riku cosplay with working on his keyblade! It made me happy to see that she enjoyed it and I can't wait to show her the finished product! Riki also loved the drawing I did of her Dr. Mrs. The Monarch cosplay. The print I got of her Sailor Mercury looks amazing. I even got some awesome advice from her husband Chris regarding how I should go about adding the details and I'm definitely considering going that route instead of using Worbla!

Loved seeing Kristen again!
Next door to Riki was Kristen Hughey! I really missed her so seeing her again was a definite treat! We talked lots about past convention trips like hers to Puerto Rico and her upcoming cruise trips aboard a Lord of The Rings themed ship! I drew her Tomb Raider which she loved so much! Kristen is such a sweetheart and I'm hoping to see her again soon! Her Psylocke cosplay was really well done and purple looks awesome on her! I went and bought her upcoming calendar she has so I'm really looking forward to it! Though when she took out the Tomb Raider prints, I had to hold myself back from buying one, SHE'S AN AWESOME LARA!

We're adorable don't judge us :3
I was so glad to hear that my amazing friend and cosplay senpai Marie Grey was able to come to the convention after a horrible experience she had when she first arrived. She came out as Black Canary and it looked so freaking awesome! We chatted about some of our outfits, TV shows and upcoming Marvel movies like Guardians of the Galaxy (which looks awesome if you haven't seen the trailers). I wish I could see Marie often as she's been such a big supporter for me. Expect a feature with her really soon like this week! Oh and she loved the drawing and letter I gave her too (I had lots of drawings you guys XD)

Jaime and I!
I very briefly ran into Jaime Poison who wore her Scarlett Witch cosplay she made. Brief as in we just said hi and her friend took some badass photos of us. While I wish I could have chatted with her more, Jaime looked awesome and the photos we took together came out amazing! There's several more down below!

So glad I got to meet Nikki!
I was so happy I got to meet Nikki Kristan who I've been chatting with a lot recently through our cosplay pages! She wore her redone White Rabbit cosplay from Alice and Wonderland! I hung out with her for awhile talking about video games and how some certain games we have a soft spot for and even how we'll have obsessions with games and play them non-stop when we get them (it'll be Final Fantasy 10/10-2 HD when she gets it and currently Mario Kart 8 for me). She loved my cosplay which meant a lot and I'm definitely looking forward to possibly hanging with her over the summer seeing as we live somewhat close by to each other! I did a drawing for her as well ^_^

I also managed to see Bethany Maddock and meet photographer Rodney Brown who I've known through some of his awesome photo shoots with several cosplayers I know! Your Scorpion still looks awesome Bethany, sorry I didn't chat with you as much as I wanted to, me being shy got in the way! Regarding the interviews I had planned with Kristen and Nikki, unfortunately we were unable to find time and a quiet enough place to do them. However Kristen gave me an option to instead do a Skype video interview with her that way it'll still be in person and not online cause some of the questions I had she wanted to give a long explanation for. I presented the same idea to Nikki and she was on board for it too! So they're still happening, just be patient guys :). Here are some other photos I took!

Solo shot of Kristen

Kristen giving me a great pose!

Awesome angled photo of me and Jaime!

Overall I had a great time and would definitely consider going again next year! Though it was crazy hot in the convention center, it at least got cooler as time went on. I didn't get too much con swag but I'm ok with that. my next convention is possibly Boston Comic Con in August but if that doesn't happen then definitely NYCC in October!





What's Popular?