Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Harajuku Bunny

For this week I have one of my awesome friends Kelsey who goes by online as Harajuku Bunny. Kelsey is a cosplayer over on the West Coast of the U.S. in Las Vegas! Makes you wonder given her location if she's been up to some crazy activities ^^. If there's one thing you can associate Kelsey with is Sailor Moon. Having cosplayed as several versions of her and a collector of Sailor Moon items from posters, wands and whatnot, she's crazy for the beloved anime! Other cosplays in her wardrobe include Kim Possible, Pepper Pots in an Iron Man dress and Starfire (which is up and coming, my excitement for it is through the roof for it!). Hope you guys enjoy this interview!

Photo by Captain Bdtzmaruz Photography

1.   What is your Name? 
My name is Kelsey.

2.   Where did the name Harajuku Bunny come from?
It's a combination of a few things I love: Harajuku fashion and bunnies! Bunny was also the English name for Sailor Moon in the manga. She's my favorite character of all time!

3.   Where are you from?
I'm from Las Vegas, Nevada.

4.   How long have you been Cosplaying?
I've been cosplaying for 5 years now! 

5.   What is your Favorite Cosplay you’ve made so far?
That's really hard to choose but I'd say Princess Serenity. It was a dream cosplay of mine so having done it, there's a special fulfillment. 

6.   Are there any upcoming outfits that you are able to share/tell?
The next costume I'll be debuting and am currently working on is Starfire (Shunya Yamashita's Illustration version). 

7.   How did you get into Cosplay?
I've always loved dressing up ever since I was little so it's always been in me. The first time I really found out what cosplay was and wanted to do it was in 7th or 8th grade when I started really getting into anime. 

8.   Who’s your favorite Video Game Character? 
Sora from Kingdom Hearts! 
9.   Who’s your favorite Comic Book Character?
There's quite a few but for now I'll say Starfire from Teen Titans.

10.   Since following your work, you clearly have a love for Sailor Moon. How did that come about? 
I've been a fan ever since I was 4. It was the first anime I was exposed to and have loved it ever since! 

11.   What was a memorable con moment? Worst con moment? 
The most memorable con moments I have are when children are excited about my costumes and think I'm the real character. It totally makes my day to see their faces light up! Worst con moment would probably be anytime that my costume or prop has come apart. It's the worst! 

12.   Do you have a Favorite convention you go to/been to?
I really enjoy going to Anime Vegas every year. It was the first convention I ever went to and I still love going.

13.   What advice would you offer to those that want to get into cosplay?
Cosplay is very expensive and time consuming, but it can be a lot of fun and very rewarding. You need to cosplay for you and not let the negativity get to you. 


14.   What is your favorite part of cosplaying as a character?
My favorite part is getting to be one of my favorite characters and bringing them to life!

Picture:


How did you make this cosplay?
The costume was mainly pieces of regular clothing that I altered. The cargo pants I took in to make them fit better. The top was a long sleeve black shirt that I cut and hemmed. I made the pouches on the belt from scratch. I hand-painted fabric and sewed them into the various pouches. The shoes are swimming shoes. I borrowed the gloves from my mom. I also cut and styled the wig. 

How long did it take?
Once I had all the pieces it took me just a few days to make all the alterations and get the pouches made. Definitely one of the easier costumes I've done! 

Photo by 3lsycepop 
Photo by David Ngo

Photo by Kris Z

Kelsey without a doubt looks so cute in her cosplays and I'm definitely looking forward to more of what she has in store for us. Her love of anime is something to notice and admire and I'm glad to be able to talk with her about all of that when I'm able to! If you want to follow more of Kelsey's work, check out these links!




What's Popular?