Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Ani-Mia


Been awhile since you saw one of these right? I’m extremely happy to share with you guys the incredible work of cosplayer Ani-Mia again! Mia is currently based in Washington DC and has been cosplaying for quite some time! Having started following her work late last year then meeting her at New York Comic Con I can tell you guys she’s an absolute sweetheart and beautiful no less! Characters she’s cosplayed as before include Serah from Final Fantasy 13-2, Zatanna, Supergirl, Velma, the Ame-Comi version of Catwoman and lots others! Hope you guys enjoy this interview!

Photo by Ron Gejon Photography

1.    What is your Name?
My name is Mia but I go by the cosplay name Ani-Mia which is a play on my name and the word anime.

2.    Where are you from?
I'm a military brat so I've lived all over but I spent the majority of my time in Seattle and NC. I'm currently living in DC though.

3.    How long have you been Cosplaying?
I have been cosplaying since 2008

4.    What is your Favorite Cosplay you’ve made so far?
I really loved making my Castanic cosplay because I got to work with Worbla to make armor which I find to be really fun and challenging.

5.    Are there any upcoming outfits that you are able to share/tell?
Can't tell you too much because I like to keep them secret but I want to do a lot more costumes from childhood characters that I really love. So old comics like Elfquest.

6.    How did you get into Cosplay?
I went to my first convention in 2007 and saw cosplayers for the first time. They looked like they were having a blast and I love making things and crafting; so it instantly drew me in as a way to combine art with the same things that I've loved all my life like comics.

7.    Who’s your favorite Video Game Character?
That's really hard. I would have to say...I've always had a crush on Balthier from Final Fantasy XII. He was very much the main character.

8.    Who’s your favorite Comic Book Character?
Rogue has always been my favorite character. She is actually a really deep character who has a very difficult ability to deal with, work with and not manipulate for her own advantages all at the same time.

9.    What was a memorable con moment? Worst con moment?
There are so many memorable moments. I think my favorite would be meeting Richard and Wendy Pini who created Elfquest. It amazing to get the chance to meet the people who created something you love. I honestly don't have any worst con moments. Except for maybe realizing at SDCC that I didn't give myself an easy way out of my costume when you have to pee.

10.  Do you have a Favorite convention you go to/been to?
My favorite is always. SDCC just because I love getting to see all the new stuff coming out and the vibe is always so lively and happy. DragonCon is my favorite to go to and just hangout with friends and cosplay at. These are the cons where I get to see my friends and just have fun.

11.   What advice would you offer to those that want to get into cosplay?
Don't be scared, just get out there and do it. Whether you make your costume or buy it, it doesn't matter; just have fun with it. That's the whole point of cosplay. That's why I go to cons just for fun every now and then between being a guest. It gives me a chance to get back to what cosplaying is all about. Getting to dress up and become your favorite character around people that get you.

12. What is your favorite part about Cosplaying a Character?
For me, it's getting to become that character. I've always been a shy person, believe it or not. Cosplaying helped me overcome that. That's why I tend to enjoy cosplaying powerful and strong women, because it's a chance for me to come out of my shell, especially at conventions, where it is acceptable and embraced. The more I've been cosplaying, the more I've realized that I've become less shy. There was a time when I could barely get up and talk in front of a class of 20 people, let alone host a panel in a room of more than 500 people.
 Picture:

Photo by Bill Hinsee Photography

How did you make this cosplay?
That one is actually made of hand dyed silk and chiffon, lace and various beads. The bracelets were created to give the extra draping to the fabric attached to it. The piece in the center was actually from an old sweater that fell apart years ago and I've had that piece sitting around for 6 years.

How long did it take to complete it?
This one took me about two weeks to make. I work full-time so I have limited time to work on cosplays so I do a little here and there. Plus, I have a habit of working on too many costumes at one time so it takes a while.

Photo by Ron Gejon Photography

Photo by AshB Images

Photo by MineralBlu Photography

Photo by Ron Gejon Photography

There you have it guys! Mia definitely loves spending time making cosplays especially when the character holds a special place in her heart. Which is basically how most cosplayers go about choosing characters to cosplay as! I’m very much looking forward to seeing her again this year so you haven’t seen the last of her! If you want to follow Mia and keep up with her work, check out the links below!


What's Popular?