Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Monika Lee

Before you start to read this I want to give a little disclaimer, these interviews may unfortunately seem out of date so if it'll help I'm going to provide a quick update as to what Monika has been up to recently based on what I've seen from following her awesome work. She is set to premiere on the 2nd episode on the new SyFy series "Heroes of Cosplay" showcasing how she handles going about making her outfit for Emerald City Comic Con (I think?) She also spent the summer doing an awesome intern opportunity in California and that's as far as I'll go into it hehe ;). Her latest outfits include Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite and an Assassin's Creed 4 pirate.

Photo by Martin Wong
This week’s featured cosplayer is none other than Monika Lee! Monika is a cosplayer from down south in Georgia and has been getting more recognition as of late. Mostly known for her incredible Little Sister from the Bioshock franchise (on top of her crazy love for it) and Summoner Yuna from Final Fantasy 10. Her skills are simply amazing and she puts so much effort into her outfits! Some of which also include: Rydia, Wonder Girl, Lara Croft, Poison Ivy, Chell, and many more! She has also been recognized by Blizzard and Irrational Games in the form of both studios tweeting her outfits from their respective games! Having met her in person at New York Comic Con 2012, Monika is an absolute sweetheart and very fun to talk with!

1.   What is your Name?
Monika Lee

2.   Where are you from?
I was born in Raleigh, North Carolina, but I currently reside in Atlanta, Georgia.

3.   How long have you been Cosplaying?
I started cosplaying in 2006 when I was 13, so it’s been 7 years now. Pretty crazy to think I’ve been dressing up for that long, haha

4.   What is your Favorite Cosplay you’ve made so far?
I really enjoyed the process of making my Wizard costume because I wasn’t really limited by a deadline and I got to use so many different techniques and materials. I kind of just got to do whatever was fun to make it look awesome. I also really enjoyed the design itself and paying tribute to what I think is an awesome game.

5.   Are there any upcoming outfits that you are able to share/tell?
        Haha, actually I’m not allowed right now. J However, I do have plans later this year to make some new stuff. I’m thinking maybe a Demon Hunter from Diablo 3, Seung Mina from Soul Calibur IV and Maya from Borderlands 2. I’m also going to be part of an Apocalyptic Disney Princess group for SDCC.

6.   How did you get into Cosplay?
        I had recently started watching anime when I was in middle school (and lemme tell you, I was crazy into it, like crack cocaine crazy, haha) and I discovered cosplay as a result. The idea of dressing up like my favorite anime characters seemed like the coolest thing in the world and since then, I’ve been hooked.

7.   Who’s your favorite Video Game Character?
        I really love Drake from Uncharted because he’s charming in that arrogant way. I think it be mostly because his character/game were inspired by Tomb Raider which I had been playing since the first PC games came out. I also really like Fran from Final Fantasy XII though because of her design and tragic background story. The voice actress who plays her is also incredible. The universe/culture in XII is so amazing to me, it’s like Lord of the Rings meets Final Fantasy, haha.

8.   Who’s your favorite Comic Book Character?
        I don’t read as many comics as I’d like, but from the ones I’ve read, I really like Rogue from X-Men and the Wonder Girls from Teen Titans (both Donna Troy and Cassie).

9.   What was a memorable con moment? Worst con moment?
        Off the top of my head, running into the Doctor Who cast at SDCC and my favorite men from Battlestar Galactica. Essentially any time I meet someone from my favorite TV shows at conventions, haha. Worst con moments are at the end of the day when you’re wearing heels and your feet are screaming, “Screw you, no more!” Actually, if I wear to say favorite moment at a con, it would be taking my costume off after wearing it all day. And taking that glorious shower, haha.

10.                 Do you have a Favorite convention you go to/been to?
        Dragon*Coooooon! I’ve met one person that didn’t like Dragon*Con. And that’s because they hated fun. Seriously though, it’s an incredible convention that’s just a giant nerd party with all your friends. Everyone gets your references and jokes and the level of costuming is through the roof. If you’ve never been, I’ma look at you crazy and go, “WHY GOD WHY?!”

11.                 What advice would you offer to those that want to get into cosplay?
        Try making your own costumes! While it can be really fun and easy to just buy a costume, the actual process and hard work that goes into making a costume is really rewarding. I see it as paying the ultimate tribute to your favorite character because you’re willing to go through crazy lengths to get the costume and design just right.

12.                 What is your favorite part of cosplaying as a character?
        My favorite part is the moment you have all your makeup on, contacts in and your outfit donned and you look in the mirror and realize that you are the character and all your hard work has culminated to being that character.


Featured Cosplay:

Photo byAnna Fischer


How did you make this?
Bahaha, if only I could answer that question in not 50 paragraphs. Obviously, I did everything myself. From top to bottom:
             The wig is a Ferrari from Arda Wigs with their ‘long’ extensions sewn in for extra volume. I also teased the ever-living daylights out of it to get more body. I used old sewing spools for the gold pieces in her hair. The tiara/headpiece was constructed with a wire armature and apoxie sculpt and old scraps of fabric. I patterned the shoulder pauldron and made it using Wonderflex, straws and apoxie sculpt for the spikes.
             The collar, boots, skirt and sleeves are made out of leather hides and thus really freaking hard to sew. I used marine upholstery gold trim which is also really thick to sew. The bra/top features gold draping over the cups and an additional leather part that is boned and laces up in the back. I altered the jacket pattern and serged and lined it. The sleeve is purple suede with Wonderflex accents. The collar (which was a bitch to pattern) also features similar Wonderflex accents and attaches to my collar.
             The purple orb is a floating fountain glass ornament that I got from etsy and my dad helped me wire an LED circuit to light it up. The outer red skirt (and jacket) was gradient dyed a darker red and also distressed and burnt with a lighter. The belt and gold spikes are Wonderflex with resin cast gems and model magic. The boots are leather boot covers and feature the same cast gems.
The staff I have in some pictures was made for the AWA 2012 contest I competed in. It’s made of lathed wooden dowels that screw into themselves for transportation and Wonderflex accents. The top was sculpted foam and covered with layers of gesso/resin. It only took a few days and I ended up winning Best in Show Construction.

How long did this take?
It was a few months during my summer break from research, acquiring materials to actual completion. I had free time so I wasn’t on a crazy deadline to complete it; I just kind of took my time.

Did you do all of this yourself?
        ….does this question need to be asked after reading the above? Haha


Photo by LJinto


Photo by Benny Lee Photography

Photo by Anna Fischer
Photo by Benny Lee Photography

I want to thank Monika so much for taking the time out of her busy life to answer all the questions seen here. Hopefully you guys all know now just how awesome she is. If you want to follow Monika and her cosplay adventures:

Facebook Page
Twitter





What's Popular?