Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay: Why I do it, and why I love it

If you've ever been to a convention, whether it be for comic books, video games, or any other type of nerd culture then you probably have seen people walking around dressed as a character from these forms. Some are store bought, and some are hand made with tons of effort. These outfits are nothing short of amazing and yup i've done it. Bottom line it's one of the most rewarding things i've ever done and it's known as Cosplay.

I've heard of cosplay from time to time thanks to the internet but i didn't really become interested in making my own outfit until right about 4 years ago (that long already), this is mainly due to me finding out about a now well known cosplayer by the name of Jessica Nigri. Ok yes i was initially drawn into how beautiful she looked but after being able to chat with her online through her little fan site at the time (now grown into a FB page with 400k fans and counting) I've grown into admiring her as a person and absolutely loving her outfits. 

Through her I came across others such as Yaya Han, Monika Lee and a whole bunch of other very talented ladies (and men as well!). So I was inspired to make my very first cosplay that being Nightwing from DC Comics with his New 52 look. This was very basic and it didn't look too well made but I was proud of it. I had it finished and wore it to my first ever convention PAX East 2012 and wouldn't you know it, Jessica was gonna be there (promoting Lollipop Chainsaw which she won a contest for) and well...this happened

Me and Jessica Nigri
Not only did she knew who I was from online interactions but she loved my outfit and that just lit me up! Fast forward to now I've made 4 outfits, Nightwing's gone through 2 upgrades with his 2nd one being done for New York Comic Con 2013, John Constantine, Shadow the Hedgehog and Meta Knight as well as attended various conventions. I've made some of the greatest friends because of Cosplay and we keep in touch OH so regularly looking forward to seeing each other again! For me this is a chance to express the things I love without fear of being judged after having been teased and bullied throughout Middle School and High School. This is why I love it and why it's important to me.

So now I'm gonna start posting cosplay interviews I've done that I fear won't ever see the light of day and I hope you guys enjoy them :)


What's Popular?