Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Showcase: Blackwater Cosplay's Vanessa VanCleef!

Photo by Paul Hillier Photography

Fantastically made cosplays combined with a near perfect background just does it for me immediately in this hobby. Blackwater Cosplay has done so today with a look at her Vanessa VanCleef from World of Warcraft. For the daughter of the infamous pirate leader, Blackwater has a lovely mix of fabric and armor work. There also appears to be some leather straps but I'll get to those eventually. She dons the iconic Defias face mask in some shots and it neatly rests around her neck otherwise. The black wig is a super clean and cute style, with lots of waviness to it. The armor shines mainly in the shoulder pieces. A black trim outlines it with white spikes and an Alien-esque creature is seen in brown. This part looks to be encircling a red gem. In some shots, looking at both shoulders look to resemble dragon eyes. Surely I can't be the only one who thinks that right?

Photo by Blizzard Terrak
Blackwater's arms consist of long blood red sleeves with some gold trim on the end. There's also the small black straps I mentioned earlier! The gloves are really interesting too, starting with a puffy like cuff before moving into various pads layered on top of each other. The hand sections feature an overall black coverage with red for the fingers! Compared to the sleeves, the gloves have a more durable look to them, I wanna say leather but don't want to get it wrong.

The main bodysuit looks to be red with the Defias logo placed alongside a tabard that overlays the suit. Red and gold are perfect colors against a black background and stand out a LOT! Around the waist is a belt which looks to be done in the same material as the sleeves and bodysuit. Red with grey lines forming an interesting pattern. Dead center here is a blood stone of sorts which was most likely done with resin.


Photo by Paul Hillier Photography

Lastly, Blackwater's leg gear is very similar in style to the arm sleeves. Starting with fabric and then moving into that leather like gear for the footwear. Even right down to the puffy cuffs I mentioned! There are also resin stones placed in that exact spot for the legs and arm sleeves! The heels have a black tip alongside the full coverage in red. As for the photos themselves, they all do a fantastic job of capturing the cosplay as a whole. Some show off Blackwater wielding a mug/stein as her prop, whereas the ones by Paul Hillier were taken in a legit cave. Definitely gives me vibes of the Defias dungeons in WoW. Anyone else remember the Heroic version it got in the more recent expansions? Seriously check out the rest of these shots, they're AWESOME!

Photo by Blizzard Terrak

Photo by Eminence Rain

Photo by Paul Hillier Photography

Photo by Blizzard Terrak

This cosplay immediately sold me on following Blackwater Cosplay's work and I can't WAIT to share more of her fantastic cosplays here in the future! Go follow her on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/blackwatercosplay/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank You to the following peeps for Supporting this Blog on Patreon <3
Shaylin
Noah
Coralea Jade
OhMySophii
Katyuska Moonfox
Mink the Satyr
Nicole Marie Jean

What's Popular?