Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Handling Controversies, Scandals and Post Deletions

When I first started this blog, I pretty much wanted to share my love and appreciation for this hobby known as cosplay. Those who know my history can attest to how this has allowed me to form strong friendships and make lasting memories. I'm coming up on 5 years of running this blog and cosplay has of course exploded in popularity. That doesn't mean it isn't without it's fair share of controversy.

Throughout the last year or so, and more so within the past months, I've seen unfortunate reports regarding cosplayers causing controversies, scandals and issues that they themselves supposedly champion against. Some of these individuals I've followed for a long time and have of course fawned over their work and personality. However, as repeated offenses pop up, it's becoming more difficult to defend them. Topics mainly dealing with sexual harassment, stealing work and screwing over other cosplayers are things I take very seriously.

I want this blog to not only be a collection of crazy talented individuals, but ones that show the best of geek and nerd culture. Cosplay by definition is "costume-play" and we're honestly just grown up people dressing up because we love the character, we love making new friends sharing our interests. Going forward, I will be deleting posts regarding my coverage on certain individuals that have sparked incidents that are too serious to be joked over should they be mentioned to me. I obviously won't be naming people since I'd like to just distance any association with them on my blog.

What I will say is that I've noticed there's sort of a power balance in this community. Whenever I see instances like recent cosplay news/drama that has a topic as serious as sexual harassment, I wonder why some of the more popular cosplayers don't take a stance in speaking up. Maybe it's to not upset what's already been formed. Maybe it's cause they want to stay to themselves and not get involved. I can understand that, avoiding witch hunts and attacks from fanbases. I kinda hope to do that as much as I can, but again when multiple instances pop up, it's hard not to ignore it. If cosplayers cared about making a difference/change in the community, I'd like to think they wouldn't be shy at least calling out horrid behavior when they see it. Along with dropping support for these individuals completely.

People actually read my blog to learn about cosplay and certain individuals, about what cosplay is, how conventions are like, etc. I want this to be held to high standards in writing and reporting. If you feel there are individuals I've shared that shouldn't be promoted, please contact me privately and discuss the matter. Note that just because YOU hate a person for the sake of hating them and provide no reason for why they shouldn't be shared here, doesn't mean I'll listen. If that were the case,  I would have deleted more posts about people I personally dislike/don't follow anymore.

Thank You as always for your continued love and support.

What's Popular?