Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

STRUCK FIRST: Oshley Cosplay as Valkyrie Mercy!

Photo by Brandon Klemets

Struck First gives you a first look at a cosplay just as it's been debuted/had its first photoshoot. Cosplayers have been kind enough to let me have a first crack at analyzing the cosplay by providing me with brand new pictures.

I regarded Oshley Cosplay as one of the best Mercy cosplayers I've seen after looking at the dozens and dozens of Overwatch cosplays. Course it didn't seem like she wanted to stop with just the default version of the angelic doctor. Enter in what you see up above with the Valkyrie skin! Taking inspiration from the mythological valkyries of Norse lore, Ashley looks pretty freaking rad all things considered. Fur can be seen in many areas of the fully covered cosplay, mostly as trims on the edges/ends of pieces. The breastplate looks to be an interesting blend of typical silver with a turquoise backing.  This version of Mercy isn't all innocent looking either, aside from the staple healing staff, she's wielding double daggers which are strapped and sheathed in on her belt. Speaking of which, the belt looks to have been done with a thick red material. The belt center piece is pretty freaking large also!


Photo by Mike Wu Photography
There's just a lot going on with this cosplay that I instantly loved the second images started popping up. First off, Ashely is rocking that winged headdress. Beautifully crafted and painted, I love how the colors come together and fit with the overall scheme. The wig is also something else too guys! Bright blonde shade with one long braid coming down on her side. Laced with white fabric of course. The armor pieces on her bracers and legs seem to be exact copies of one another. You really didn't think I wasn't going to address the wings were you? The other main staple to Mercy are the angelic looking wings coming out of her back. This really brings home the Valkyrie look too.

The framework looks to be done in a gold bronze like how other armor parts are made. Coming out of this frame are the winged parts in similar fashion to her other skins. Silver acts as a top piece with a light blue directly below it. Much like how other Mercy cosplays are done, these light blue pieces are of a plastic see through material. Most of the shots I gathered are landscape format and really give off a cinematic feel to this cosplay. Ashley worked incredibly hard on this for Blizzcon and the result is nothing short of incredible. Check out the other photos below!

Photo by Brandon Klemets

Photo by Brandon Klemets

Photo by Mike Wu Photography

Oshley Cosplay has a plethora of Blizzard related cosplays that I've featured on here in the past. You do NOT want to miss out on her other cosplays, so please check her page out :)

What's Popular?