Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Game Review: Super Mario Odyssey



Getting a new Mario game for a brand new Nintendo system is always an exciting time for gamers. I've been getting incredibly excited over the past month or so as Super Mario Odyssey neared its release date. Though as I was playing, I immediately felt bummed out thinking that the game itself was starting out slow. As I played more I gathered up the excitement and started enjoying it on new levels. Yet, there was that lingering thought in the back of my mind, "Did I hype up this game to a point where I expected my socks to be blown off?". I don't mean to start it off with a negative point since there's so much this game does brilliantly which more than justifies all the glowing reviews its received. Super Mario Odyssey kicks you off mid fight with Bowser as he's once again kidnapped Princess Peach. Wearing a dapper new outfit, Bowser's looking to marry Peach and can't have you stand in the way. You get your butt kicked easily and are sent flying to a creepy locale known as the Cap Kingdom.

It's here you meet with a sentient ghost known as Cappy. After describing his own plight thanks to Bowser's meddling, you decide to team up and save Peach plus Cappy's sister (who's on top of Peach as a tiara). Odyssey's main gimmick is the new hat which allows Mario to throw it at oncoming enemies and obstacles. Not only that, but you're allowed to do a variety of action like a spin move to cover a wide range, have it hang in midair for an extra platform and the other major gimmick which involves capturing enemies. Certain enemies and objects are controllable which are complete with them donning Mario's cap and mustache. These give added functions like speeding up as a Bullet Bill, jumping high as a frog, or chucking hammers like no tomorrow as a Hammer Bro!


The name of the entry is derived from Mario's rocking hat ship known as the Odyssey. Running on Power Moons, you have to go hunt these down in each kingdom to power it up more. This allows you to keep chasing after Bowser as he's out gathering items for his wedding. The Power Moons are not your typical stars or shine sprites. Sure there's story based ones for each world and you get Multi Moons (pack of 3) after each boss, but they're everywhere. Reportedly, there's about 800 moons total to gather which is a far cry from the classic 120. These can be hidden in plain sight, under the ground, in a crate, or rewarded for talking to an individual dressed as something they like.

That brings me to the other rad addition to Odyssey, the cosplay game is real you guys. Lives are a thing of the past as you now have 2 main forms of currency. The regular coins are everywhere and you loose 10 each time you die. You'd think that wouldn't be worrisome but the Crazy Cap store has things that can be bought with them. There's also purple coins which are world specific and cap out at a certain amount. The items which can be bought mainly consist of Power Moons, outfits, and stickers/goodies for the Odyssey. The outfits serve as a HUGE call back to Mario's extensive history of being literally every occupation ever thought of.


The kingdoms you travel to are scattered all over the place so you're literally on a globe-trotting quest to save Peach. Other elements of the game include cute/inventive 2D segments where you play as a classic OG form of Mario.The transition from this to 3D is one of many impressive things about this game. I also spent time in co-op mode where one player can control Cappy on their own whereas the other can handle Mario. This works well in boss battles and certain Power Moon objectives. Plus it brings back fond memories of playing past Mario games with my neighbor when we were younger. The base story itself doesn't take you very long and the end level sequence is definitely one that'll get you hyped up and excited. Coming back to the hype issue I mentioned at the start, I think it's mainly my fault. I expected so much of this game and I was sadly let down. 

The level design is stellar, the soundtrack is memorable and the new mechanics/gimmicks introduced are freaking genius. Maybe you won't experience the let down I felt if you try this game, maybe you will. All I'll say is don't expect something ground-breaking from Odyssey. Completionists are going to find a lot that this game has to offer in order to 100% it. I'm definitely gonna play this game more casually since I'm in no hurry to find all 800 moons. Actually might need a guide for that XD. Super Mario Odyssey is a game that every Switch owner has to play, the joy-con controllers are used effectively (I found Tabletop mode to be my frequent way to play), and everything melds together for an adventure that'll last for a pretty long time. 





Should you Play this Game?
Absolutely! Mario's odyssey is one for the ages and the new gameplay elements bring so much variety to his ever expanding move-set. The capture mechanic can lead to some hilarious moments. 3D and 2D Mario gameplay mix very well and the controls are as tight as they have been in awhile. This is a must have title for Switch owners!

What's Popular?