Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Ireland Reid!

Photo by Joshua Paull Photography
At NYCC this year, I had the pleasure of chatting with and meeting Ireland Reid. Based out in California, Ireland has been cosplaying for a few years but actually creating outfits, bikinis and theme wear for an even longer time period. 14 years to be exact. We chatted about how she got into this hobby, her juggling so many other things on top of her cosplay/modeling hobby, and just having lots of fun. Ireland was such a sweetie that she also agreed to do an Interview with me which is what I have for you all today! As I mentioned above, Ireland was always into designing clothes and outfits, from making her own Halloween costumes, to modifying what was worn on her dolls. All of Ireland's outfits were formed to fit her taste and body (which is super gorgeous by the way <3). At NYCC, she wore her Mara Jade, debuted Poison Ivy, and had a relaxing Sunday in her Cheshire Cat outfit. All of which highlighted something new that Ireland learned while working on them (to me at least).

According to her, Ireland was always into the kind of geeky things from when she was little. Watching Star Wars with her Dad, playing the NES when it first hit shelves alongside the original Zelda, and even working on computer hardware! How cool is that? She also mentions how crazy her life can be and the strain it can put on her body which you'll see down in the answers below. With the debut of her Poison Ivy, Ireland stated that it was more like a preview of upcoming outfits she has for throughout next year!

Photo by Kaminsky Kandids Photography
Ireland gave some pretty awesome responses that definitely give you a glimpse into the life she is worked up in. From her contracting job, to working out and being one of my many fitness inspirations, she has her fair share of crazy. Nevertheless when I met her, I could see the happiness and passion she showed in her eyes. Ireland is definitely someone to keep an eye out on. This being ahead of my planned feature on her, I'm more than happy to share with you all this incredible cosplayer. Already miss her a lot and can't wait to see her again. Hope you guys enjoy the interview!
----------------------------------------------------------
What got you into cosplay and how long have you been doing it?
I think I have always been into it. I was very insecure about physically showing it out of my own house till about 2 years ago. I have been making costumes & theme-wear for others for about 14 years now.
Which cosplay was the first you ever created?
It’s really hard to say. I helped out my mother and grandmother when I was a child to design and create my Halloween costumes. When I did have dolls, I was never happy with the clothes and thought that they needed something different, something more. I always have been modifying, molding, creating my own clothes and costumes to my taste and body.
Thinking back to the last convention you were at, did you enjoy it?
I always enjoy going to conventions.
What cosplay(s) did you bring to this convention?
I brought Mara Jade, Poison Ivy and Cheshire to NYCC this past weekend. =)
What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
They are all my favorite in some way because they challenge me, each of them, to learn something different.
Photo by ModelMosa
What got you into being a geek?
I have always been this way and can credit my dad for that one =)
Do you have any other members of your family who are into what you enjoy? Or are you at present the only “geek” in the family?
I grew up with a very geeky household. My dad had me watching Star Wars when I was 4-5, playing the NES when it came out, battling each other with how many life hearts we had in legend of Zelda, and had me swapping out hardware components in our Packard Bell computer to upgrade things like hard drives, processors and graphics cards. So I have always been this way my whole life.
So I not only recently discovered your work after seeing you here and there, but I also had the absolute honor of meeting you at this past NYCC. There, you debuted an incredible Poison Ivy, which took about 7 months according to you. I know we discussed it then, but can you go into just the process of what went into it? It was incredibly inspiring to learn about it. Why was Poison Ivy your choice?
Poison Ivy has always been my favorite villain so naturally I chose to do something grand with her. The process is so much to list, but I built it from the ground up. I posted a play by play and description of the whole process on my Facebook page www.facebook.com/officialirelandreid under the Album Behind the Scenes-Making of Poison Ivy =) 
You seem to cosplay from a little bit of everything from video games, to comics and pop culture. Do you have a favorite medium to cosplay from?
I just pull from the things that I love honestly. So whether they were from games, movies, to pop culture, these are characters I know and can relate too, which I think for me, is important when I portray a character. =) 
On top of cosplay, you mentioned at NYCC that you’re juggling so many things such as your gorgeous modeling hobby (I definitely need to grab your “Beach Bunny” print <3), engineering job, and pursuing your Masters. Does it become overwhelming at certain points? 
I know that it is hard on my family and loved ones. Personally I feel like I need to add 3 more things to that list and wouldn’t sleep if I could get away with it. Life has so much to offer that I don’t want to miss a moment of it for anything. I want to do it all, learn it all, like yesterday status.
Photo by Sean's Photography
You’ve done a couple of Pokémon gijinkas with Pichu and Vaporeon! Both of which have a unique look to them. How do you go about choosing Pokémon to create outfits from and throw in your own flair to them?
I usually go with ones that I just loved playing or finding while playing the games. It’s so much fun to make them into a gijinka, and wear them for everyone.
If there’s one thing you’re thankful for that the cosplay community has shown/given you in the time you’ve been involved, what would that be and why?
Time. They give some of their time to me, time which they will never be able to get back within this lifetime and that is humbling. I feel very honored that so many appreciate what I do and support me. I wouldn’t be where I am without the community, a community I was heavily involved in way before I put on my own costume years ago.
What do you think about cosplay as it is now hitting the mainstream?
More and more people are excited that it is now socially acceptable to express fandom for their favorite characters and what not, myself included which is awesome. I know that Yaya Han is bringing things like cosplay patterns and fabrics to more and more people who are remote so everyone can love the fandom no matter where you live. I just love it.
Do you have any upcoming cosplays for this year that you’re able to share? When you debuted Poison Ivy, you mentioned that it was a taste for next year. I think 9 cosplays was what you said you have in the pipeline?
I have 9 at least in the pipeline coming out, some are way more intense then the others as I know I won’t be able to travel with some pieces. Lets just say it’s going to be crazy!
Do you imagine cosplaying being a part of your life within the next 5 years and do you hope to evolve your skill set?
Cosplay will always be in my heart. I have no idea what is going to happen tomorrow yet alone within the next 5 years! Lol.
What’s a day in the life of Ireland Reid?
I usually get up early, around 6-7am having gone to bed around 2-3am and start the day with emails & social media over coffee and breakfast, then I usually work on orders with the girls that we have for cosplay accessories and the bikinis/theme-wear for the fitness girls, do my own work, gym, school, homework and then work on my cosplays. Finally going to bed around 2am lol. This is when I am home, whenever that is.
Any upcoming game releases you’re looking forward to?
Fallout 4, Battlefront and Black Ops 3.
Do you have a favorite convention?
They are all my favorite in some way, shape and form.

If you could date any fictional male character, who would it be and why?
Why do we have to limit it to a male? Lol. Honestly I don’t know. I like the loner thing, the independent woman thing. I never really thought of it. I know, I’m lame. Lol. =)
Photo by ModelMosa
Photo by Neeko Cosplay Photography
I can't thank Ireland enough for not only taking the time out of her schedule to do these questions, but for being one of my highlights at NYCC with meeting her! She has such a good heart and loves what she does. Trust me guys, Ireland is someone to keep an eye on and I'll be sure to share with you all the amazing things she has planned. You're the best Ireland, thank you so so much <3. If you want to follow Ireland's life, check out these links!

What's Popular?