Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer/Photographer Interview: Vicky Lau!

Photo by Benjamin Sim Photography
Hope you guys are ready for a somewhat hybrid interview! I've got with me the talented Vicky Lau from Vivid Vision and the answers she gave back are fantastic! To start you guys off, Vicky currently resides in Canada where she works as a director for Animethon! This being the longest running anime convention there. Surprisingly Vicky started photography only 2 years ago when her father gave her a DSLR for Christmas. She gravitated to the hobby after taking photos from a trip to Hong Kong shortly after! Cosplay wise, Vicky has been in this hobby for 10 years, which is something I didn't know! Her style of cosplay has actually influenced her photography pictures. Thus your eyese will be assaulted by lots of sparkles. Cosplay photography is her side hobby while her hired work tends to be towards events, weddings and portraits!

In recalling her last convention, Vicky attended Aurora in Calgary. There she was dressed as the character Saber from the anime Fate/Extra. Many of her favorite cosplays up to now are ones I love as well such as her White Mage Agnes from Bravely Default, Battle Bunny Riven, and Christmas Bunny Riven! Vicky isn't the only geek in the family as 2 of her sisters cosplay with her. The oldest actually works with Vicky at Animethon in the same position! When it comes to editing and taking pictures, she usually takes about 40 shots and selects 1-2 of them to go crazy on. Course this only applies to private shoots with cosplayers. I imagine she did this with some of the girls in her recent group cosplays.

Photo by Camtography
Speaking of her group cosplays, Vicky got a chance to work with several other talented cosplay ladies from around Canada and the US. Some of these include Gladzy Kei, Jessica Nigri and Andy Rae! The groups they did were both armor based with one being Disney Princesses, and the Sailor Scouts! For the Sailor Scouts, Vicky chose to be Chibi Moon and it was a challenging outfit for her! This was one of her first times working with Worbla and thankfully she was able to construct it thanks to the help of her fellow group mates! The end product seen above looks amazing!

Vicky's other proud moment from last year was making the carrot sword for her Battle Bunny Riven! The sword was her first prop and she says it was definitely a surprise that she was able to make it. Trust me Vicky, I very much know that feeling :D. Her normal job working takes up majority of the week and afterwards it's either cosplays, photoshoots, editing shots or eating. In terms of where she got the name Vivid Vision, Vicky says it's actually a play on her former Internet Alias Vivi (named after the infamous mage from Final Fantasy 9!). I hope you guys enjoy the responses Vicky gave! I most certainly did ^_^.

What got you into photography and how long have you been doing it?

I started photography 2 years ago. It was really random because daddy bought me a DSLR camera for Christmas. I left it in the box for half a year because I’m afraid of learning how to use new technology! But finally took it out for my trip to Hong Kong!! Learned many things with it and started experimenting with photography!

Do you mainly do cosplay photography?

For hobbies, I mainly do cosplay photography on the side. But for hired photography work, I mainly shoot events, weddings, portraits, etc.

You also dabble in making extremely cute cosplays. I imagine photography had an influence on that as well?

I have been cosplaying for over 10 years now! So a lot of my photography style comes from my cosplay inspirations (ie: I like pretty sparkly magical cosplays/photography lol)

Model: Andy Rae
Thinking back to the last convention you were at, did you enjoy it?

The last convention I was at was Aurora in Calgary. Definitely was a fun and relaxing convention ^_^

What cosplay(s) did you bring to this convention?
Saber from Fate/Extra

What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
From my recent list, I think my favorite ones I’ve made so far are Battle Bunny Riven, Saber Fate/Extra, Agnes White Mage from Bravely Default, Xmas Ayane from Dead or Alive, and Xmas Bunny Riven.

What got you into being a geek?

IT’S IN MA BLOOODDD!!! MY CALLING XDD

Do you have any other members of your family who are into what you enjoy? Or are you at present the only “geek” in the family?

My older and younger sister are both into geek culture! My older sister cosplays with me, and the both of us are directors at Animethon, the longest running anime convention in Canada! <3 My younger cosplays seldomly, but she is an anime artist that travels around North America and sells her art at conventions as her full time job :)

You truly know how take amazing photos from the work I’ve seen with some of the other cosplayers. What’s the process like for editing each picture if you do any?

If I am doing a private shoot with a cosplayer, I usually take less than 40 photos of them, and try to pick one or two really good pictures and edit it. I do the basic things like color correct etc, cropping the frame of photo, then start editing all the details.

Model: Riki LeCotey
Do you have a personal favorite photo or set that you’ve taken during your time as a photographer? What makes it your favorite?

My Seven Deadly Sins set!! This was a photoshoot I did as a celebration of my 1 year anniversary as a photographer! Planned the theme, designed and sewed the outfits, recruited 26 talents to hope on board to help me with this project! Was definitely as very eye-opening experience!

Going back to your cosplays for a bit, you’ve had 2 group cosplays recently last year with other cosplayers including Andy Rae and Jessica Nigri. What was it like working with all these talented women on your Disney Battle Princesses and Armored Sailor Scouts?

It is very inspirational to be able to work with talented cosplayers from different parts of the world! They motivate and encourage me to push my cosplay to the next level!!! Looking forward to more future cosplays with them!!

With both those groups still in mind, I really loved your Armored Chibi Moon cosplay! What was it like making that outfit?

It was my first time making armor with Worbla. And was definitely a VERY challenging experience as I only had 3 weeks to make it!! A huge learning curve but all my scouts were very encouraging and provided me support when I needed, even when we lived in different cities!

How did it feel wielding a giant carrot sword for your Battle Bunny Riven cosplay? That must have been fun to make!

OMG BESTTTTTTTTT!!!! My carrot sword was the first prop I ever made!!!!! Another huge accomplishment for me in 2014!!! I would never imagined being about to make something like that!!! It’s a dream come true!!

What do you think about cosplay as it is now hitting the mainstream?

I think it’s really cool that more and more people are getting into this hobby!! It’s a great way to meet new friends and connect with people around the world!! We’re all just really passionate nerds XD

Photo by FiveRings Photography
Do you have any upcoming cosplays for this year that you’re able to share?

Working on some Love Live cosplays for Hong Kong C3 convention in Feb 2015!

What’s a day in the life of Vicky Lau? Where did the name Vivid Vision come from?

Lol I work Mon-Fri, so when I come home from work, I’m either working on my cosplays, doing a photoshoot, editing photos, or eating delicious fooooodd!!! >w<  My internet alias name was Vivi (lol yes from Final Fantasy 9 :p) So I was trying to find a play on words that kind of tied in with my name. Vi for Vivid, and another Vi for Vision XD

Photo by Destiny's Curse Photography
Any upcoming game releases you’re looking forward to?

No time to play games!!! Must make more cosplays and travel XD

Do you have a favorite convention?

ANIME EXPO!!!

What’s the last thing you remember from New Year’s?


EATING DELICIOUS FOOOOOD!!!






Photo by Benjamin Sim Photography
Photo by Benjamin Sim Photography 
Photo by The Will Box
Model: Zombie Bit Me

I hope you guys enjoyed getting to know the girl behind the camera and magical photos! If you want to follow more of Vicky's work, be sure to check out these links! Hopefully I'll get to meet her in person one day :D. All photos with model credits were taken by Vicky Lau!
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/vivivision
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/vickylau22
Instagram:

What's Popular?