Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Nikki Kristan!

Photo by Chelsea Kramer
For today, I have an interview with an amazing friend I made through Cosplay. Her name is Nikki Kristan and she's got an interesting collection of characters she's made. We met through our Facebook pages and connected easily, you can imagine how excited I was to hear when she told me she was going to be attending Hartford Comic Con this year. She debuted her own design of the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland and I really enjoyed her company, talking about video games, cosplays we were making, how the convention was for both of us etc. Originally this was going to be in a video format at the convention but time got away from both of us and it didn't happen and though we attmpted to try and do one via Google Hangout, our schedules just didn't allow for free time (more hers than mine since well...my entire summer has been mostly nothing XD). We managed to make it work this way so why don't we get started?

Photo by Chelsea Kramer
Nikki currently lives in Connecticut but before then, would go to a Renaissance Fair each year with her Mom where she was originally from. ConnectiCon was her first convention shortly after the move and she attended the same con the year after which was when things really started getting into gear for her. Nikki's love for geeky things stemmed from growing up reading which led to Anime. She tells of how she remembers saving money from doing chores for her Grandma then buying the InuYasha manga at the bookstore.

Video games led to her first love being the Pokemon series and it progressed from there. She did a Suicune gijinka which instantly won me over :D. In terms of comic book characters, Nikki was torn on doing either Poison Ivy or Harley Quinn for NYCC last year and having Tera as her favorite character from Teen Titans! For the other main publisher, Captain America is Nikki's favorite.

Below you'll learn of Nikki's progress in making Beserker Rikku from Final Fantasy X-2, what cosplay means to her, and much more including a glimpse at what an ordinary day is like! I hope you guys enjoy the questions!

Photo by Chelsea Kramer
Thinking back, what outfit did you wear at Hartford Comic Con?
I wore my version of the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland to Hartford Comic Con.
How long did it take to complete it?
It took me a total of 7-8 hours to complete the costume. So, not very long.
Did you enjoy the convention? What was your favorite thing you’ve seen or done there?
Considering the size of the convention, I thought it was pretty decent. They had some cool things there, like the Ghostbusters car and the video games.

How long have you been cosplaying and how did you get into it?
 Well, I go to Renaissance Faires every year with my mom and we would dress up for those. Around where I am originally from, there were not too many conventions and then I moved to CT and my first convention was ConnectiCon, summer 2012. I did not go to another convention until ConnectiCon 2013 because of life, money, and work things, and that’s when I started going to more and more.
What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
Oh man! This is going to be a hard one. I absolutely love being Terra; it’s so much fun and I love her personality and her story. I also like being Poison Ivy because it takes me out of my everyday life and gives me the chance to really be someone different.
Photo by TabbyCat Photography
What got you into being a geek?
I grew up always reading, and then eventually I got into anime. I used to save up the money I would get from raking my gramma’s lawn and dusting her house to buy the InuYasha manga at the bookstore in town. I also got into video games and the Pokemon games. It just kept progressing from here.
Do you have any other members of your family who are into what you enjoy? Or are you at present the only “geek” in the family?
 I am the only one that is really into it, at least from my immediate family. My brother and I do play video games together, though, whenever I go back home to visit.
I seriously am in love with your Rikku Beserker cosplay. How did you decide on which costume of hers to do first?
When I play FFX-2—and I have played it through more times than a person should—I am always pumped to get the Berserker dressphere. It’s my favorite; it’s powerful, spastic, and full of energy. I actually think it encompasses Rikku’s personality quite well: cute to look at, but a ferocious fighter when she needs to defend her friends. Plus, who doesn’t want to wear giant kitty paws?!
Did choosing Rikku come from a love of Final Fantasy? What other games in the franchise are you a fan of? Do you have a favorite entry?
Rikku is my favorite. I used to tell people when I was younger that Rikku would be my friend if she was real. I only really played through X and X-2, but I have watched people play other games in the franchise. I did not grow up with a lot of money, so I was just happy with the games I had. I plan on playing more of the games someday, I just need the time!
What was the process like for constructing your Rikku Beserker cosplay?
It was not as bad as I thought it would be. There was some trial and error, but that always happens when you try something new. Personally, I thought it was fun to make that costume. I used cardboard, cloth, paper clay, and plaster for the horn. I used foam, wire, duct tape, plaster, and spackle for the shoulder armour. The kitty paws were the worst, though! Sewing up some gloves, especially giant ones that need to be layered and stuffed, is not a walk in the park… at least for me, haha.
Photo by Chelsea Kramer. Kakashi Cosplay by Stephen Sidlick
I also love the DC Comics cosplays you’ve done. Your Poison Ivy is super beautiful and Tera is just badass! Are they both favorites from where they came from?
Terra is my favorite from Teen Titans. I have always liked her. Poison Ivy is in my top, but when I first did her at NYCC 2013, it was between that and Harley Quinn. I have other characters that I like, too, which will hopefully be making a big debut at the next con I can get myself to.
From talking with you online, you also mentioned that Captain America was your favorite hero from Marvel. Why is that?
I like what he stands for. I like that he is old fashioned and has a good heart, outside of being the hero. He fights for the people who don’t have the voice or the power to fight for themselves. I like that.
Photo by Chelsea Kramer
You are also a very talented artist with drawing and painting being some of your choices of medium. Does that at all affect how you cosplay?
I never really thought about that, but I suppose it does. Creativity draws on more creativity.
What’s a day in the life of Nikki Kristan?
Well, currently, I take 6 classes at USJ and I work almost full time hours at my job. I have one day off a week (unless I take time off for something), and that day is dedicated to my online course and homework. When I am not being sucked into my adult life, I like to go on adventures, play video games, read, and write the story I have been working on.
Do you see cosplay as being a part of your life in the near future? What’s your dream job?
 Cosplay will always be a part of my life, even if I cannot get to conventions as often as I would like (which is the case now because they’re expensive and school gets in the way). I like to make costumes and use my creativity to make things. My dream job is to work for National Georgraphic, and I would like to be a published author someday.
Do you have a favorite convention?
 My favorite convention is Otakon in Baltimore, Maryland. I am sad, though, because soon, it will not be in Baltimore.
Favorite Part of the Human Body and why?

Eyes. I think you can tell a lot by a person’s eyes.


Photo by Chelsea Kramer

I want to thank Nikki so so much for finally being able to do this interview with me! She gave such awesome answers and I'm going to miss her at NYCC this year since she can't make it. All the support you've given me on my cosplays and blog means alot Nikki and I hope all you guys enjoyed this interview :). If you want to follow more of Nikki's work, check out these links!
















What's Popular?